• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by deechnz View Post
    I'm not sure. I was under the impression that we are required to get houses tested in between each tenancy, also as a stipulation of my insurer until the NZ standards are amended. Is there a way around this (what I thought was a) obligation?
    Not a requirement from the Govt or their agencies.
    It is recommended by the TT Chief Adjudicator since you can't say someone caused the contamination without knowing what it was when they moved in.

I can't comment on your insurer but if they say you must then you must (but not the Govt forcing you).

True. Even the lovely Jacinda stated that landlords wouldn't get any meth compensation because there was no mandatory rule for any houses to be tested. (that had me fuming). Asbestos testing isn't required for houses - there was another thread covering it. Feels like someones trying to milk these issues. Insulation is required top and bottom if possible. No word on what heating needs to be supplied but general consensus is heatpump - although fireplaces may have a role too. Find another insurer.

I'm not sure. I was under the impression that we are required to get houses tested in between each tenancy, also as a stipulation of my insurer until the NZ standards are amended. Is there a way around this (what I thought was a) obligation?
    Sure is.
    Don't test your property for meth.
    Don't make a claim for cleaning up meth.
    Don't try to recover any meth costs from your tenants.
    Don't mention the words meth or p to anyone.
    Hopefully your tenants won't test the property for meth and claim against you - we don't know what that outcome would be at this stage.
    A possible defence: If you tested your tenants possessions for meth then you could argue that the tenant must be using meth and caused the meth reading in the property.

If the tenants didn’t have a baseline test on their furniture how could they make a claim that it was your house that contaminated their furniture?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Especially the ones that want to charge to 'test and certify' the smoke alarms!
    Hear hear that man!

Both PMs are with Ray White in diff towns.
    I knew it.
    I bloody well knew it.
    Ray White! The sods!
    I used them once for property management and the little bills for bits and bobs which came in under the $500 mark, and thus did not require my authorisation, came in constantly.
    Every month those little bills added up to several hundred. And Ray White clipped the ticket on them for 12% I think.
    Eventually I realised that those 12% margins on a few hundred dollars a month on top of the PM fees took Ray White's fees to about 9.5% of gross rent. When I worked it out for each month it started to look like they were actually doing it on purpose, targeting a maintenance spend which would add an extra 2.5% of gross rent to their monthly revenue.
    Needless to say I changed PMs. In the two years since I changed I haven't had so much as ONE unauthorised maintenance bill.
    Last edited by Perry; 03-07-2018 at 05:02 PM. Reason: moderation

I'm getting emails from PMs telling me that I need to pay $250 per house to get them surveyed for asbestos, and another PM who offered $350 per house to get a 100-point safety check done on 12 hazard areas. It seems never ending.
    Saying that you "need" to pay versus offering a service is very different and sounds like they are pushing for payment rather than providing you with facts on what's needed!

I suggest you go back to these agents and ask for clarification to help you make an informed decision before going ahead with any of these services.
    www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
    # Property Management
    # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Thread Information