Second Dwelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Dwelling

I am in Chch. I am thinking of constructing a second dwelling. No plan to subdivide at the moment.
    Is it better to get an architect to design the 60-80 m2 dwelling and then tender out the building work or should I just approach building companies and ask them to quote for the whole thing.

I have been quoted $7-10K by a number of architects.

Seems to me going straight to a builder would save me 5-10K. Am I missing something given I am really after a stock standard design for a rental?

Does any one know second tier building companies I could talk to?

Doesn't seem like enough savings to take the risk. Who's doing the drawings etc for the consent process?

cheers,

Donna
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

I don't think you need an architect for a minor dwelling, there are a few building companies that will have ready-made plans and they will include the consent process in their estimates. Get 2-3 quotes and just double check what amounts in them are provisional.
      Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
        I don't think you need an architect for a minor dwelling, there are a few building companies that will have ready-made plans and they will include the consent process in their estimates. Get 2-3 quotes and just double check what amounts in them are provisional.
        Thanks for the feedback. Most appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X