Gibbing over existing ceiling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibbing over existing ceiling?

We are renovating our kitchen and are wanting to replace the ceiling as it has these 70's tiles on it. My question is can we just gib over the ceiling, is this allowed or are there any issues that we should be aware of before doing this? We are wanting to install downlights and a few pendant lights.

I was going to post a photo of the ceiling but the forum won't allow me to for some reason but I believe they are Pinex softboard tiles.
    Last edited by Nesian; 20-06-2018, 11:38 PM.

Originally posted by Nesian View Post
    I was going to post a photo of the ceiling but the forum won't allow me to for some reason but I believe they are Pinex softboard tiles.
    Say "I need to post a photo" Post that and then, on your next post, post the photo.

The system notes that and allows you to post photos.

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

Are they flammable? Are they asbestos?
      Will the down light fittings fit through multiple layers?

Comment

I recommend uploading your image here https://imgbb.com/ and sharing the link with us.

cheers,

Donna
        Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Don't gib over them, it will sag and likely come down. It's like having a bit of foam between the battens and plaster board. The ceiling battens for pinex tiles aren't strong enough, and may not be correctly spaced, for plaster board. It is really easy to take down though so don't be put off. Then replace/add to your ceiling battens before putting up the plaster board. Check the sizing & spacings of the battens needed for plaster board.

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
            I recommend uploading your image here and sharing the link with us.

cheers,

Donna
            That's what I initially tried to do but it said I couldn't post links. At a guess, there is a minimum amount of posts required before one is allowed to post links? I even had to delete the link in your original post so I could reply to it.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeye View Post
              Are they flammable? Are they asbestos?
              Will the downlight fittings fit through multiple layers?
              I have no idea and I suspect it's not easy to find out either. I know the house was built in 1973, did Pinex tiles of that time contain asbestos?

Comment

I've done this before and regretted it. The joints were just not solid enough and many of them cracked, you really need to fixing directly onto solid timber. Also had problems with screws popping through the gib.

Comment

agree with Aston

but you might be ok to use the battens as they were fairly close together? but check that they in turn are suppported

. Screw fixing best If you remove the tiles you can glue to battens and reduce stopping

Comment

Those ceiling tiles are a common situation . I have them in a couple of my rentals and envisage pulling them down at some point and putting up Gib. I also wonder about having to add in extra wooden joists to hold the Gib.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
                      Those ceiling tiles are a common situation . I have them in a couple of my rentals and envisage pulling them down at some point and putting up Gib. I also wonder about having to add in extra wooden joists to hold the Gib.
                      Did you get around to do so? Any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by Pop Alexandra View Post
                        Did you get around to do so? Any recommendations?
                        We replaced our pinex tile ceiling. You can't gib over them, it will sag and likely come down. It's like having a bit of foam between the battens and plaster board. The ceiling battens for pinex tiles aren't strong enough, and may not be correctly spaced, for plaster board. It is really easy to take down though so don't be put off. Then replace/add to your ceiling battens before putting up the plaster board. Check the sizing & spacings of the battens needed for plaster board.

Comment

Working...
                        X