• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Default HNZ developments - steep vs level sections

I've been reading with interest the ongoing saga regarding the HNZ development on Branff Rd, Epsom. I see that similar developments are happening all around Auckand, from Avondale to Meadowbank. It seems that HNZ prefer to develop the sections that have a level (or near-level gradient) - I suppose this is because it can be more expensive otherwise with the need for retaining walls etc. I wonder if this means that they might end up selling off their other sections that are large but of a steep gradient such as those they own in One Tree Hill. Anyone got the inside info on this?

Sorry, that should have read Banff Ave.

Have approached HNZ about buying some of their stock just recently but they aren't selling.

Yes I imagine under the new government that there will be less selling-off of state homes. What I'm really interested in more is the technical and cost aspects of developing on steep sections and if this is why all of the current HNZ developments that I have checked out on their site seem to be on flat or nearly flat sections.

https://www.hnzc.co.nz/housing-devel...mme-by-suburb/

Quote Originally Posted by Merlot Mike View Post
    Yes I imagine under the new government that there will be less selling-off of state homes. What I'm really interested in more is the technical and cost aspects of developing on steep sections and if this is why all of the current HNZ developments that I have checked out on their site seem to be on flat or nearly flat sections.

https://www.hnzc.co.nz/housing-devel...mme-by-suburb/
    This was before the change of Govt.
    The cost of the earthworks involved in getting a sloping site ready to build on it is massively expensive compared to a flat site, and to be honest HNZ don't have the skilled staff able to undertake this type of work.
    HNZ are not in the business of development. Personally I think they should sell off to the public some of their houses, especially the ones that are on a site that can take 2 or 3 units in areas like Orakei and Onehunga.
    Let a private developer build on there and use the money from the sale to buy 2 or 3 newly built houses in a less expensive area.
    THe HNZ properties I am thinking of have a market value of 1.5 million and have one elderly tenant living in them paying $65 week rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Meehole View Post
    Personally I think they should sell off to the public some of their houses, especially the ones that are on a site that can take 2 or 3 units in areas like Orakei and Onehunga.
    Let a private developer build on there and use the money from the sale to buy 2 or 3 newly built houses in a less expensive area.
    I agree. I get the impression that they are determined to have their properties spread throughout many types of areas though. They have a couple of big sloping sections in Konini Rd Greenlane with only a tiny house on them.. it'll be interesting to see what happens with those in years to come.
    Sound like you have had a few dealings with them over the years yes?

Thread Information