• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Default Rate of value increase in different types of builds

I've been trying to work out whether there is a difference in rate of increase in value of homes in the same area depending on the type of build. I have some evidence, based on relative RVs, that less popular properties increase in value at a lower rate but this is not at all scientific, and from limited experience.

For example, if we take two north-facing properties in a Central Auckland suburb, one is a well built cedar townhouse and one is a villa in good condition, have these two properties historically increased at the same rate or has the villa's popularity seen it increase at a greater rate?

Would this change if the cedar place is on a better laid out piece of land?

I'm not asking for a magic prediction but looking back at the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by stevell View Post
    I've been trying to work out whether there is a difference in rate of increase in value of homes in the same area depending on the type of build. I have some evidence, based on relative RVs, that less popular properties increase in value at a lower rate but this is not at all scientific, and from limited experience.

For example, if we take two north-facing properties in a Central Auckland suburb, one is a well built cedar townhouse and one is a villa in good condition, have these two properties historically increased at the same rate or has the villa's popularity seen it increase at a greater rate?

Would this change if the cedar place is on a better laid out piece of land?

I'm not asking for a magic prediction but looking back at the last 10 years.

A very good question and I have no idea what the answer is - although I suspect all you will get from others is anecdotes. Not sure whether hard data exists for trends like this (maybe overseas?).

Natetrade

I know from the last property we built then sold at a later date higher Quality building materials and larger floor size doesn't get you anywhere the valued added compared to say flashy kitchen / bathrooms pieces ...

If we built a spec home next I would go cheap and mid-sized.... cladding aka board and batten black stain etc cheap roof color steel etc basic double glazed windows ..but put the money into flashy kitchen bathroom fit-out .... also forgot the big garage just the usually BS oversize single vendors call a double

Quote Originally Posted by JBM View Post
    I know from the last property we built then sold at a later date higher Quality building materials and larger floor size doesn't get you anywhere the valued added compared to say flashy kitchen / bathrooms pieces ...

If we built a spec home next I would go cheap and mid-sized.... cladding aka board and batten black stain etc cheap roof color steel etc basic double glazed windows ..but put the money into flashy kitchen bathroom fit-out .... also forgot the big garage just the usually BS oversize single vendors call a double
    this is spot on.. people love the flashy finishing - they pay more for this. Quality materials like better timber etc don't seem to get noticed nor a premium price.

The average buyer is not very sophisticated and usually budget constrained imho.

Thread Information