• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: WINZ and rent

Quote Originally Posted by arcticblue View Post
    I'm currently looking at new tenants and one of the prospective tenants is a solo mother with one young child that has some health issues meaning she cannot work. She is on a benefit and I presume is getting some sort of housing supplement. I haven't had a tenant who is on the benefit before and I'm trying to work out if she can realistically afford the rent.

Is there a limit on the housing supplement when a person is on the benefit? The rental is in Christchurch and is $385 a week.

If anyone can provide more information on how the WINZ payments work in a case like this I'd be grateful.

Thank you
    Hi there
    I too have taken on a solo mum with WINZ and 6 months down the track have had nothing but problems and on hindsight I would consider beneficiaries applications with an entirely different approach. Steep learning curve and still learning.

Yes, you can ask to get rent paid directly from WINZ but they can also change it to suit their own needs - so be aware.

Mine is still paying 1-weeks rent not paid for personal circumstances without prior discussion or approval but with a solution to pay it back in installments. So I just have to bear it - without the grin, but what else could I do?

So...... a word of caution. Do your homework with WINZ and get registered with them so you have access. And I would now I would have no hesitation to ask for a credit rating as part of their application, which I believe is permissible within the bounds of TA and RTA.

And, as I see from one other reply, you can ask for 3 months statements! Didn't know that either!

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    Find out exactly how much they will be earning and then request three months worth of their most recent bank statements, therefore you'll know what their expenses vs their income is and then make a fully informed decision.

Its always best to get their rent redirected so WINZ pays you directly but there is a form that is required and they won't always grant this so perhaps make it a condition of the agreement that unless it can't be redirected the agreement won't proceed.
    Wow!
    So how does one do that exactly?

i.e. find out exactly how much they earn?

And is it legal to request 3-months current statements as a landlord???

Do you get the idea that this is a bad idea?
    Sickness beneficiaries have to be signed off by a doctor every 3 months and if this isnt done your rent will without warning just stop.
    You will not be able to discuss any of this with WINZ.
    Note: that any issues that your tenant have with WINZ become your issues with no rent as the immediate consequence and you having no idea what is going on.
    Doug

Thanks for the comments. After doing a bit of digging I found a few interesting things. The following is posted for your enjoyment. :-)

I found a person with the same name in the tenancy tribunal database for rent arrears and damage. This address didn't match any previous listed addresses.
    The previous address that was listed shows up in the TT database and matches up with the dates that they supposedly lived there. However the name doesn't match but is close enough to be an alias.
    The previous landlord didn't ever answer or respond to my calls, a search for them in the TT database shows one match, it has them as a tenant in the north island at the time they are also supposed to be a landlord. The TT document shows them owing $20000 in rent and damage. This leads me to believe they are not really the landlord. :-)
    There are now more than enough discrepancies for me to rule out this person.

All in all it filled in a few hours and provided a bit of fun. Onto the next application which now looks a little more promising.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticblue View Post
    Thanks for the comments. After doing a bit of digging I found a few interesting things. The following is posted for your enjoyment. :-)

I found a person with the same name in the tenancy tribunal database for rent arrears and damage. This address didn't match any previous listed addresses.
    The previous address that was listed shows up in the TT database and matches up with the dates that they supposedly lived there. However the name doesn't match but is close enough to be an alias.
    The previous landlord didn't ever answer or respond to my calls, a search for them in the TT database shows one match, it has them as a tenant in the north island at the time they are also supposed to be a landlord. The TT document shows them owing $20000 in rent and damage. This leads me to believe they are not really the landlord. :-)
    There are now more than enough discrepancies for me to rule out this person.

All in all it filled in a few hours and provided a bit of fun. Onto the next application which now looks a little more promising.

And this is why good tenant selection and investigation into who you're renting to is so important. Well done to you

I wonder if the commie party will see fraudulently filling out of rental applications and/or (allegedly) making false statements of being a landlord and/or using false names and addresses as being an issue.

Or is this ok because it is hard to find a rental these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Keys View Post
    I know how to add text Perry. I also know how to put links into posts. If I put a link in, why do I need to add text?

Feeling miffed.
    I'm sorry, Keys, no slight intended.

The idea of adding the RTA text to your post was to obviate the need for forumites to follow the link / open another tab / whatever, unless they wanted to see the wider context of the full section.

Is there a reason you chose not put the text of that RTA section in your post?
    Last edited by Perry; 08-05-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

I try to put links in whenever possible. Draw the reader (who is interested) onto the site and they may stay there a little bit. Education by stealth.

Right. Given the language and structure of the RTA, any sort of education is a great help.

I shall restrain my explication impulses in future.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Thread Information