WINZ and rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WINZ and rent

I'm currently looking at new tenants and one of the prospective tenants is a solo mother with one young child that has some health issues meaning she cannot work. She is on a benefit and I presume is getting some sort of housing supplement. I haven't had a tenant who is on the benefit before and I'm trying to work out if she can realistically afford the rent.

Is there a limit on the housing supplement when a person is on the benefit? The rental is in Christchurch and is $385 a week.

If anyone can provide more information on how the WINZ payments work in a case like this I'd be grateful.

Thank you

you can get the rent paid directly from WINZ

Comment

but afaik

if she runs short of cash

she can get her accom supplement

redirected back to her account

as she doesn't have to use the accom supp on accom

if you've always wanted to be a social worker

give it a go
      Last edited by eri; 07-05-2018, 08:38 AM.
      have you defeated them?
      your demons

Comment

if you've always wanted to be a social worker

give it a go
        Like button needed.
        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

If you proceed, you will have to register with WINZ and be issued a supplier number.

Comment

Beneficiary can change or cancel redirection from WINZ. You will not be told the reason due to privacy.

Comment

Find out exactly how much they will be earning and then request three months worth of their most recent bank statements, therefore you'll know what their expenses vs their income is and then make a fully informed decision.

Its always best to get their rent redirected so WINZ pays you directly but there is a form that is required and they won't always grant this so perhaps make it a condition of the agreement that unless it can't be redirected the agreement won't proceed.
              Fraser Wilkinson
              www.managemyrental.co.nz
              Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Comment

I wonder if it's possible to make the TA have a condition regarding rent paid direct from WINZ?

And it that condition is breached, an automatic 90 day notice will be issued. (Or the like or whatever)

Comment

Of special note is this item in the law. 136 (2d)
                  136 Service of documents
                  (2) Without limiting the provisions of subsection (1), any notice or other document required or authorised by this Act to be given to or served upon any tenant may be served on a tenant:
                  (d) by giving it to the person who ordinarily pays the rent under the tenancy agreement.
                  I know how to add text Perry. I also know how to put links into posts. If I put a link in, why do I need to add text?

Feeling miffed.
                  Last edited by Keys; 08-05-2018, 08:35 AM. Reason: Added RTA text

www.3888444.co.nz
                  Facebook Page

Comment

Keys, have you ever served RTA-related docs on WINZ? If so . . .

How did you know which staffer or what part of WINZ to serve it upon?
                    Last edited by Perry; 08-05-2018, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by arcticblue View Post
                      I'm currently looking at new tenants and one of the prospective tenants is a solo mother with one young child that has some health issues meaning she cannot work. She is on a benefit and I presume is getting some sort of housing supplement. I haven't had a tenant who is on the benefit before and I'm trying to work out if she can realistically afford the rent.

Is there a limit on the housing supplement when a person is on the benefit? The rental is in Christchurch and is $385 a week.

If anyone can provide more information on how the WINZ payments work in a case like this I'd be grateful.

Thank you
                      Hi there
                      I too have taken on a solo mum with WINZ and 6 months down the track have had nothing but problems and on hindsight I would consider beneficiaries applications with an entirely different approach. Steep learning curve and still learning.

Yes, you can ask to get rent paid directly from WINZ but they can also change it to suit their own needs - so be aware.

Mine is still paying 1-weeks rent not paid for personal circumstances without prior discussion or approval but with a solution to pay it back in installments. So I just have to bear it - without the grin, but what else could I do?

So...... a word of caution. Do your homework with WINZ and get registered with them so you have access. And I would now I would have no hesitation to ask for a credit rating as part of their application, which I believe is permissible within the bounds of TA and RTA.

And, as I see from one other reply, you can ask for 3 months statements! Didn't know that either!

Comment

Originally posted by FJW View Post
                        Find out exactly how much they will be earning and then request three months worth of their most recent bank statements, therefore you'll know what their expenses vs their income is and then make a fully informed decision.

Its always best to get their rent redirected so WINZ pays you directly but there is a form that is required and they won't always grant this so perhaps make it a condition of the agreement that unless it can't be redirected the agreement won't proceed.
                        Wow!
                        So how does one do that exactly?

i.e. find out exactly how much they earn?

And is it legal to request 3-months current statements as a landlord???

Comment

Do you get the idea that this is a bad idea?
                          Sickness beneficiaries have to be signed off by a doctor every 3 months and if this isnt done your rent will without warning just stop.
                          You will not be able to discuss any of this with WINZ.
                          Note: that any issues that your tenant have with WINZ become your issues with no rent as the immediate consequence and you having no idea what is going on.
                          Doug

Comment

Thanks for the comments. After doing a bit of digging I found a few interesting things. The following is posted for your enjoyment. :-)

I found a person with the same name in the tenancy tribunal database for rent arrears and damage. This address didn't match any previous listed addresses.
                            The previous address that was listed shows up in the TT database and matches up with the dates that they supposedly lived there. However the name doesn't match but is close enough to be an alias.
                            The previous landlord didn't ever answer or respond to my calls, a search for them in the TT database shows one match, it has them as a tenant in the north island at the time they are also supposed to be a landlord. The TT document shows them owing $20000 in rent and damage. This leads me to believe they are not really the landlord. :-)
                            There are now more than enough discrepancies for me to rule out this person.

All in all it filled in a few hours and provided a bit of fun. Onto the next application which now looks a little more promising.

Comment

Originally posted by arcticblue View Post
                              Thanks for the comments. After doing a bit of digging I found a few interesting things. The following is posted for your enjoyment. :-)

I found a person with the same name in the tenancy tribunal database for rent arrears and damage. This address didn't match any previous listed addresses.
                              The previous address that was listed shows up in the TT database and matches up with the dates that they supposedly lived there. However the name doesn't match but is close enough to be an alias.
                              The previous landlord didn't ever answer or respond to my calls, a search for them in the TT database shows one match, it has them as a tenant in the north island at the time they are also supposed to be a landlord. The TT document shows them owing $20000 in rent and damage. This leads me to believe they are not really the landlord. :-)
                              There are now more than enough discrepancies for me to rule out this person.

All in all it filled in a few hours and provided a bit of fun. Onto the next application which now looks a little more promising.

And this is why good tenant selection and investigation into who you're renting to is so important. Well done to you

I wonder if the commie party will see fraudulently filling out of rental applications and/or (allegedly) making false statements of being a landlord and/or using false names and addresses as being an issue.

Or is this ok because it is hard to find a rental these days?

Comment

Working...
                              X