• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Default Which suburbs of Tauranga life style farms have NO chemical spray orchards nearby ?

Any experts for Tauranga Life style can give us some precious advice? We are comparing between Franklin and Tauranga region with our limited budget. If in Tauranga region, we want to buy a life style farm at least 1.5 Ha with budget up to $850K (if bareland which allows to put a reallocated house or a 90sq meter small pre-fab new house if covenants applied) or up to $1M(if with a dwelling- even its old, on farm). The questions are:
    1) We like being organic and in safe (non) low-crime-rate friendly community. So we DO NOT want any chemical spray orchard or market gardener within 5 kilometers (greenhouses are fine, because they are all indoors), neither rough suburbs. Are there some organic and friendly suburbs any one can recommend?
    2). Are these 3 suburbs meet our above requirements: Te Puke, Kati Kati, and Oropi?
    3). By our budget, nowadays realistically, do we have the possibility to find such a farmland (with or without dwelling) in good parts of Tauranga region?Thank you very much!
    Last edited by Perry; 07-05-2018 at 11:12 AM.

I have P/M'd you.

I'm from there, I think it can be hard because orchards are typically not large, so many orchards are in a small area and the decision on whether to go organic or not is up to owner. What I would do is contact someone like Seeka or Zespri and ask them if they have that kind of information.
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
    I'm from there, I think it can be hard because orchards are typically not large, so many orchards are in a small area and the decision on whether to go organic or not is up to owner. What I would do is contact someone like Seeka or Zespri and ask them if they have that kind of information.
    Nick, Thank you very much for your advice!

Hi

I can help here, there are more organic kiwifruit orchards than Avocado or kiwiberry orchards, I have limited knowledge of Blueberry orchards, which are increasing in this area. However normally Avocado orchards that export their crop will not be organic (this may change in the future) however Kiwifruit orchards can be organic and export.

My advice is that you learn the requirements for organic produce such as how far from an orchard that does spray or the required buffer zone. To gain organic certification there are quite a few hoops to jump through. Visit the web-site of Assure Quality:
    http://www.asurequality.com/our-indu...-certification

This will give you sound information and assistance.

General rule is the higher you go (colder it is and hilly terrain) the less orchards there will be. I see in recent years that they are trying to cram some orchards in on some flat topped hilly areas but it seems to peter out when you hit a certain altitude.

The regional council keeps a chemical register for any property affected by chemicals. Not sure if that includes all types of sprays and from memory this was properties that were affected within the last so many years, whether they are still an orchard or not. The BOP Regional Council may be a good place to start as they are the ones who regulate the air quality.

Having lived on the flat it is definately a LOT colder up those hills but also great views. I lived next to an a organic kiwifruit orchard but it is not guaranteed. They decided to convert to a standard orchard and hello hi cane! I would go Oropi, Katikati and Te Puke are rife with spraying, again unless you go up higher.

Thread Information