Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WOF or housing standard checklist anywhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOF or housing standard checklist anywhere?

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can direct me to the right place. I've just received a massive quote ($40k) to upgrade a rental which has become vacant in Dunedin. The PM feels that the house needs the work because, in their own words "The tribunal is coming down hard on owners not updating their properties so long gone are the days of just re-renting with the obligitory repairs"

So, I'm curious- is there a WOF coming into play with the new government? Or is there somewhere a checklist of the things a rental property needs?

All I can find is on the tenancy.gov.nz website which states the following: The Residential Tenancies Act 1986 requires landlords to provide and maintain rental properties in a reasonable state of repair. What’s considered ‘reasonable’ depends on the age and character of the property and how long it’s likely to remain habitable and available to be lived in.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, you may seriously need some repairs but the reason they've given you is a load of hogwash. The Healthy Homes Bill IS coming so if you're not offering heating and insulation with proper ventilation then that's something you should look at. Other than that there aren't any rules changing that I know of.
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Awesome- thanks for that.

Comment

The current and previous governments both said they would not be introducing a rental WOF. The Healthy Homes Guarantee Act is going to be a back door way of sliding parts in via national minimum standards. There is an outline document at the below link with submissions to be called mid year.

The Wellington City Council, with great fanfare in mid 2017 introduced a voluntary RWOF. The whole list is on the WCC website.

Huge support according to the mayor at the time. 8 months later two properties have applied and passed. It's all gone very quiet, overtaken by news of a $40,000 rainbow painted pedestrian crossing. Sigh.

wellington.govt.nz/services/rates-and-property/property/rental-warrant-of-fitness

Comment

imho

old stuff

in the SI

is going to get

HAMMERED
          Last edited by eri; 01-05-2018, 06:01 PM.
          have you defeated them?
          your demons

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
            imho

old stuff

in the SI

is going to get

HAMMERED
            Yes, especially small or rural communities where rents are low but cost to bring up to minimum standards are similar if not more than high rent areas.

The MBIE paper I mentioned above doesn't say that only heat pumps will be acceptable, but comes close. It does talk about research on minimum indoor temperatures, which if adopted will mean many rentals will need more than one heat source supplied. And also in the paper portable heaters will not make the cut.

All good for the tenants who can afford the extra rent.

Comment

Dont forget to do an Asbestos Management plan. Lots haven't or aren't but suspect it might be a future requirement for disclosure on TAs
              Another bonus for tenants that can afford extra rent.

Comment

If the house was built to code and certified by council - then why do I need to worry about asbestos?
                Surely it is up to the guvmnt & council to re-mediate any problems they have caused?
                The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
                  The current and previous governments both said they would not be introducing a rental WOF. The Healthy Homes Guarantee Act is going to be a back door way of sliding parts in via national minimum standards. There is an outline document at the below link with submissions to be called mid year.

The Wellington City Council, with great fanfare in mid 2017 introduced a voluntary RWOF. The whole list is on the WCC website.

Huge support according to the mayor at the time. 8 months later two properties have applied and passed. It's all gone very quiet, overtaken by news of a $40,000 rainbow painted pedestrian crossing. Sigh.

wellington.govt.nz/services/rates-and-property/property/rental-warrant-of-fitness
                  At the MBIE renting and you roadshow last night in Wellington, our attention was drawn to this:

Property managers are already being audited where there is a record of complaints

Comment

Originally posted by Eugene View Post
                    Property managers are already being audited where there is a record of complaints
                    About time too.

www.3888444.co.nz
                    Facebook Page

Comment

Hi

It is desirable to have good insulation as that will keep property warm and less maintenance because of moisture/humidity etc. Installing heat pump in the property can cause lots of electrical bill for the tenant and that requires better overall evaluation.

Comment

Working...
                      X