Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leakages to roof repairs by owners next door to our adjoining properties in firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leakages to roof repairs by owners next door to our adjoining properties in firewall

A double-barrel here open to you all who can offer some solid advice as to what else I can do to proceed please or how to escalate some action.

Owners next door had repairs done as above to "fix" earthquake firewall repairs and so the repairers(spelling?) had drilled the flashing to my roof but didn't seal them or replace the broken tiles (10). This has resulted in rain water leaking into our side of the firewall and has caused damp and bubbling to my internal walls backing on to the firewall.

My tenant alerted me last week to hearing a "leaking" and I started by getting an assessment/quote which I now have with photos of the shoddy work.

I am yet to get a builder in to assess the damage to the interior side of the firewall once the exterior has been done presumably.

I have phoned, text and emailed the property manager to meet, view, discuss but no reply as I post this.

First Barrel: Is it their responsibility to repair and pay for the above? Seems No-Brainer to me but just checking ...........

And second:
    What options for my tenants if the repairs are going to cause upheaval? And again, at whose expense?

Whew........

i would be contacting the owners next door and get them to have their contractor come back and fix your roof at no cost to you

Comment

I think so too but still no response from next door owners to get it kick started. Grrrrr Thank you.

Comment

is this unitr titles or freehold?

Comment

Yes, what sort of buildings are these? Joined up townhouses? Apartments? Crosslease, unit titles?
          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

My property is freehold - don't know their status. Why do you ask?

Comment

Its two units joined by the firewall.

Comment

is it unit title with a body corporate or are freehold? (in other words is there a Body Corporate

Comment

Hi John, no its not a body corporate. My place is freehold but can't answer for next door. I am perplexed at your question.

Comment

If it was unit title the issues are the responsibility of the body corporate and cobered under the unit titles Act

Freehold means this is a civil issue between nieghbours

I dont understand why they needed to do the work on your roof but it sounds like they trespassed

Comment

Originally posted by erinak View Post
                      My property is freehold - don't know their status. Why do you ask?
                      Oh cause you're asking us to help you and so we're trying to understand the situation.
                      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Thanks but my reply was to another person's response so sorry. The situation is as was stated in my post re: whose responsibility is it if next door arranges to fix their problem butting-up against a joint firewall only to have problems with leakages on my side of the adjoining wall? I believe (with photos of proof of shoddy repairmanship).

Comment

Thanks John but as it is an adjoining firewall they had to cover both rooves for water prevention but unfortunately they didn't do standard quality workmanship, hence the leakages.
                          However, I now feel confident that I am in my rights to expect they will repair all damages caused to my property through shoddy workmanship and I have evidence (photos) to confirm that.
                          No reply from property owner or manager to date yet either.

Comment

Working...
                          X