Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lino with asbestos - kitchen reno

Hi

We are renovating our own kitchen and laundry in Wellington, it's a 1965 house.

I cut a piece of lino and backing from both our kitchen and the laundry, both samples are postive for Chrysotile (asbestos).

We are replacing everything in both the kitchen and laundry.

Originally I was planning on pulling up the lino and having the rimu flooring sanded and polished.

The kitchen flooring has a layer of lino, then chipboard, then a grey layer (which i assume is the asbestos layer), it doesn't seem very friable at all. I have sealed over the area where i cut the sample.

In the laundry there is a layer of lino, then a grey fibrous layer that is friable.

What do people think of professional removal of asbestos, how much would they charge? 5.5 m2 and 2 m2 area of lino (~7.5 m2 total area). I'm worried that even after professional removal of asbestos when the flooring people machine sand the floor residual fibres from the professional cleanup might be airated. The kitchen is adjcant to the laundry via a hallway to the outside door so i think the cleanup area would be connected to both kitchen and laundry.

Does anyone know if after removal of the asbestos they can do machine sanding while still having the plastic sheeting up. I don't want residual asbestos in the floor board cracks going in my adjacent lounge?

This is what the lino looks like in the kitchen: iforce.co.nz/i/tjepzh3g.svl.jpg
    (sorry it won't let me post the picture as a direct link)

I assume the bottom grey layer is the asbestos.

Quote to remove was $8,000 which sounds ridiculous.

The flooring guy reckons I should just get everything wet and steam it off myself.

Comment

put tile and slate underlay over it and a good quality large porcelain tile at about a third of the cost of removal

Comment

I have an asbestos guy in Wellington who has an A class licence who would remove for well under the cost you've been quoted. PM me and I'll pass on his details.

Comment

with ours they applied this kind of thin but ultra strong special hard board sheet on top old lino and leaving in place. New lino fixed on top leaving old underneath and untouched.

Comment

the asbestos is is the flooring? the grey layer is more likely the adhesive?

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
              it will be the backing of the old vinyl

Comment

Wow I guess it's a common issue. We have a small section of lino with asbestos too - in our kitchen, that we need removed when we do our reno. soon. Up to now we have just put tiles on top and while it has raised the floor it was fine as it was not open plan but we are moving our kitchen so the area that is the kitchen now will become part of the open living space so we need to remove raised floor (tiles, lino and floorboards) and put a new wooden floor down.

I guess the removal for us will be different for kiwijunglist as we are not keeping the existing floorboards - we're replacing them.

Kiwijunglist - if you can get away with it - I go with the recommendations here - don't remove, put a floor on top.

cheers,

Donna
                Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                  I checked with the laboratory. They pulled the sample and confirmed the asbestos is within the grey layer. Ie the material between the floor board and the chipboard.

Comment

Working...
                  X