Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're not smoking we're vaping, says tenant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
    I'm with the tenant on this.
    Vaping isn't smoking.
    It's a new thing which is better for smokers than smoking (if that makes sense).
    No idea if it damages a property - probably not is my current understanding.
    You should identify exactly what damage it does.
    Once you have established that it does cause damage then talk to the TT and see if they agree that smoking and vaping are both covered by the 'no smoking' clause.
    Take it from there.
    So I take it you'd be fine with vaping going on in your rentals?

Comment

What damage will vaping do to my rentals?
      At this stage you have provided no evidence that vaping causes damage.
      If vaping causes damage then I might support you but you are appearing to be over-excited over a non-event.
      For what it's worth, one of my tenants does vape (is that the term?) in that rental.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
        The neighbour tells me their is always a smell of burnt toast coming from the house since they moved in.
        so they are vaping and burning toast

Comment

Vaping is very different to smoking, as no combustion takes place. More like steam than smoke. In my view the tenant is being responsible for their health. Given they possibly have a nicotine addiction. I'm not sure why you'd be concerned with vaping.

Comment

Vaping is still very much in its infancy and the harmful effects are not really known.

One expert said that if a child swallows as little as 2ml of the vape juice they can die within 20minutes.

The principal ingredient of the vape juice is polyethylene glycol which is what is used in anti-freeze and fog machines. That stuff is not something i would like to be sucking up into my mouth and breathing out, furthermore their is a residue , a light one at that and one reason why fog machines should never be aimed at electronics appliances.

Comment

One expert said that if a child swallows as little as 2ml of the vape juice they can die within 20minutes.
              If a child swallows household bleach they could die.
              I suppose you'll want to ban bleach from your rentals as well?
              You sound like you've just discovered vaping and want to stamp it out.
              Good luck.

Comment

The principal ingredient of the vape juice is polyethylene glycol which is what is used in anti-freeze and fog machines.
                It’s also an ingredient of many frozen desserts, salad dressings, cake mixes and thousands of other processed foods.

Comment

Good luck.
                  Vaping hasn't been around long enough to be fully tried and tested , it has only become exponentially popular in the last few months, remember they said the same thing about cigarettes for decades that it was all good. I have some experience with fog machines which is the same liquid that vaping machines use ,we used to use them for testing purposes while i served in the fire service, they do leave a surface residue which attracts dirt and often that is not easy to remove. Theirs no way i would want to be inhaling that stuff into my lungs. Presently theirs little control over the vape ingredients being used.
                  You're welcome to have vaping going on in your rentals but right now I'm not having it.
                  Last edited by mrsaneperson; 17-04-2018, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
                    It’s also an ingredient of many frozen desserts, salad dressings, cake mixes and thousands of other processed foods.
                    Ingested but not inhaled. Different consumptive processes can cause different reactions on the human body.

According to this article the e-liquids are more dangerous than cigarettes partly because their isn't control mechanisms in place over the manufacturing process :

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/24/business/selling-a-poison-by-the-barrel-liquid-nicotine-for-e-cigarettes.html

Last edited by mrsaneperson; 17-04-2018, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Ok let’s see if i’ve got this straight, it’s ok to eat the stuff but not to smoke it, and drinking 2ml will kill a child, right? Leaves a residue on surfaces like burning candles, cooking oily foods and using canned air fresheners and fly sprays. It’s bad for you, but like sugar, fat, sweetners and coffee the experts can’t decide how bad. Note: drinking too much water can kill you so LL’s should be putting warning labels on kitchen taps.

When it comes down to choice of tenant I think an ex-smoker who’s vaping shows some degree of self improvement. Some smokers would rather send their kids to school with no lunch than give up the ciggies.
                      Last edited by Learning; 17-04-2018, 02:24 PM.

Comment

i consulted the vaper in my family about residue and lingering smell. His view is that he can sometimes tell when walking in to a property if vaping has taken place recently - example given was a rental which had been vacant for 2 weeks and he could smell vaping tobacco smell. Many don't use tobacco flavour, and today when I talked to him he was vaping cinnamon doughnut.

He thinks the smell is a lot less than actual tobacco smell, so probably not too major, but there will be a film residue on surfaces over time. But cooking curry is much worse.

Not definitive but something more to add to the discussion.

Comment

Good luck.
                          Children don't (normally) see their parents putting bleach near their mouth, but I imagine that they may pick up one of Daddy's vaping sticks and investigate. I've never even been in particularly close proximity to one being used, so I've no idea how childproof they are?
                          DFTBA

Comment

Originally posted by cube View Post
                            Children don't (normally) see their parents putting bleach near their mouth, but I imagine that they may pick up one of Daddy's vaping sticks and investigate. I've never even been in particularly close proximity to one being used, so I've no idea how childproof they are?
                            I think we have strayed too far from the responsibilities of a landlord.
                            Parent/child behaviour is none of our business.
                            Vaping is harmless and causes no damage to a property.
                            End of story.
                            Argue with the TT if you want to take it further.

Comment

Vaping is harmless and causes no damage to a property.
                              Doctors used to prescribe cigarettes to relieve stress.

www.3888444.co.nz
                              Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                                Doctors used to prescribe cigarettes to relieve stress.
                                lol
                                And it did relieve stress - right up until they died from lung cancer.
                                Keys - do you mind if your tenants use e-cigarettes/vaping?

Comment

Working...
                                X