• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I had ATL do an asbestos report on my small two-level commercial.
    Cost was about $1100.

Quote Originally Posted by flyernzl View Post
    I had ATL do an asbestos report on my small two-level commercial.
    Cost was about $1100.
    Heck really? Money for jam aye?
    Squadly dinky do!

Guys, I got the asbestos report done, and bugger it, there is asbestos in my premises.

It's contained in a textured concrete type product that is on a brick wall. This would have been put on years and years ago. Maybe as long ago as the 50s or 60s.

It's painted, in good condition and basically poses no risk to anyone.

Do you guys reckon I could just gib over it? Is this allowed? Otherwise it could be removed, but it'd be a bit of a mission. The wall would be around 3m high by 15m long. I imagine it would cost quite a bit to have it removed.

Any advice appreciated.
    Squadly dinky do!

I reckon WorkSafe stance is you notify tenant about it (if commercial) or tradie who's going to work on your residential rental

Quote Originally Posted by AlFa View Post
    I reckon WorkSafe stance is you notify tenant about it (if commercial) or tradie who's going to work on your residential rental
    Yesss... I understand that.

But I'm asking about the best way to proceed to make the premises as safe as possible i.e take care of the problem as best as possible.
    Squadly dinky do!

As with any risk - ignore, minimise, eliminate. Weight up your options and go with the most efficient.

On a school block refurb project i'm working on now, we found asbestos sheeting had been used as form work between the concrete ribs, this made it impossible to remove.

We had the underside of it spray painted/sealed and have left it in place. Requirement was that the school would add it to their asbestos management plan - put together by an asbestos management company. What I've learned from this is that if you don't touch it and if its not doing any harm now, then it can stay where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Davo36 View Post
    Guys, I got the asbestos report done, and bugger it, there is asbestos in my premises.

It's contained in a textured concrete type product that is on a brick wall. This would have been put on years and years ago. Maybe as long ago as the 50s or 60s.

Do you guys reckon I could just gib over it? Is this allowed? Otherwise it could be removed, but it'd be a bit of a mission. The wall would be around 3m high by 15m long. I imagine it would cost quite a bit to have it removed.

Any advice appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexL View Post
    On a school block refurb project i'm working on now, we found asbestos sheeting had been used as form work between the concrete ribs, this made it impossible to remove.

We had the underside of it spray painted/sealed and have left it in place. Requirement was that the school would add it to their asbestos management plan - put together by an asbestos management company. What I've learned from this is that if you don't touch it and if its not doing any harm now, then it can stay where it is.
    Thanks for that. My wall is already painted and I can't see for the life of me how it would affect anyone. But corporate tenants just sometimes want things a certain way...
    Squadly dinky do!

Quote Originally Posted by Davo36 View Post

Any advice appreciated.
    Not sure I have a solution to your problem but the problem with gib over asbestos is that in future whoever is working on the property will be unlikely to recognise the asbetos risk before they then go and work on it exposing them to risk.

Gib over the asbestos actually doesn't encapsulate the asbestos anyway so you're really achieving anything other than a visual change to your buildings look.

Thread Information