Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fibre install for multi level dwelling was serviced only to basement and not upper!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
    I would have thought that Chorus would be paying and on-charging the ISP if it wasn't free.
    If that is true why would 2Degrees not accept it is free - they wouldn't have to pay anything. They don't seem to be on your side!
    The fibre retailer (2 Degrees, Spark etc) does incurr costs associated with every new fibre connection. These costs are normally clawed back from the customer in the form of monthly plan charges over the course of a 12 or 24 month contract. If a customer signs up to a no term connection, then there is no security of tenure, and therefore no guarantee that they will recover the original cost of the connection - and this is why the majority of retailers will charge a connection fee on no term connections.

Just to be clear, if your tenant has not signed up on a fixed term contract, then 2 degrees is within their rights to charge a connection fee. However for 12 month fibre contracts, pretty much all retailers offer free connection. The first thing to do is confirm with your tenant whether they signed up for no fixed term, or if they opted for a 12 month contract with 2 Degrees.

If it is the latter, then 2 Degrees definitely sound like they are trying to grab extra revenue here. Chorus always provide network capacity to enable multiple connections at every property - I work for the corporate team at Spark, and we regularly install multiple fibre connections at a single legal address (eg a commercial building on one title, split into several shops), and we don't charge a connection fee for any of them (on contract). The caveat here is if Chorus need to install additional network capacity above what was installed when the network was first rolled out. If this happens, then a non-standard installation charge could apply in some instances. But it is certainly not the rule for 2nd connections.

From what I have read in this thread, the connection that has been installed in this case is far from a non-standard, and that is why there should be no charge, so long as the tenant has entered into a 12 month (or longer) contract term. If they have been contracted, they should go back to 2 Degrees and demand that they refund the $199 immediately.

Comment

Thanks for your input .

I have refunded the tenant the $199 currently, out of my own pocket. Now waiting for tenant to inform me of 2degrees decision , if they still want to charge then i will take them to Disputes Tribunal.

I received emailed confirmation from Chorus before and after the install that there would be no charge. Onsite the day of the install , when the technicians came from Chorus to install they confirmed again with me there would be no charge.

The case is exceptionally strong that 2degrees need to issue a refund when they have stated in an email to the tenant that they are charging $199 for the Chorus install which was confirmed as "free" before, after and during the install by Chorus.

Whats more if this is a common fleecing situation that 2degrees are engaging in, then the Ombudsman may also be an avenue. 2Degrees are effectively robbing our taxes since it is the government that are paying Chorus to do these installs on behalf of all New Zealanders.
      Last edited by mrsaneperson; 13-07-2018, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
        then the Ombudsman may also be an avenue.
        ComCom is the answer rather than Ombudsman.
        Ask Spark re ComCom investigations.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
          ComCom is the answer rather than Ombudsman.
          Ask Spark re ComCom investigations.
          Hi Wayne, its not Spark its 2Degrees. Who are ComCom?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
            Hi Wayne, its not Spark its 2Degrees. Who are ComCom?
            I was referring to the trouble Spark currently have with the Commerce Commission. They're the ones that go after Telco when they overbill etc.

Comment

Working...
            X