Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fibre install for multi level dwelling was serviced only to basement and not upper!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fibre install for multi level dwelling was serviced only to basement and not upper!

Just wonder if anyone had experience like this which i am sure is common?

Fibre connection was laid on and then at the termination was run to the basement flat , as that tenant wanted fibre . The upstairs tenant was content to continue using his wired VDSL connection.

However when the upstairs tenant recently finished his tenancy and new people moved in they want me to organize fibre for them to that level.

I am hoping their is no extra charge involved for this .

And that it is simply a matter of getting Chorus to come out and install to the upper level .

Anyone know how long it could take and if this is at no cost to myself?

Yes I am familiar with this situation....

In a multi occupancy building situation, when the first occupant places an order for fibre, it triggers a work packet for network design to be completed for the whole building (or group of buildings on one title). A Chorus scoper will go to the site and map out requirements to make fibre available to every tenancy in the building. Chorus will then install the network from the street to the building(s) which includes a 'drop off point' for every unit in the building. They will then proceed with the full installation for the occupant who has actually ordered the service, but provision is made for all other units to be easily connected in future and generally no further network build is required for those future connections.

What this means is that all your new tenant upstairs has to do is place an order with their preferred retailer (ie Spark, Vodafone etc). Once Chorus receives that order from the retailer, they will recognise that all the network build has already been completed, and will simply book in an installation visit.

The Chorus technician will ask your tenant to sign the End User Terms document upon arrival. Please note that this document contains a clause/declaration stating that the tenant has sought the building owner's permission and has discussed and agreed the location of the fibre termination box with the building owner. You should make sure that you have this discussion with the tenant so your expectation regarding the location of the termination box inside the unit is agreed between you. Normally it is installed in the lounge area close to the tv, but it must also be close to a power socket and existing phone jackpoint.

In terms of timeframe, if your tenant were to place an order this week, I'd expect the installation to be completed within 5-10 days subject to technician availability. The installation will be done at no charge to the tenant or the building owner (based on standard install specifications).

Comment

Originally posted by SimonW View Post
      Yes I am familiar with this situation....

In a multi occupancy building situation, when the first occupant places an order for fibre, it triggers a work packet for network design to be completed for the whole building (or group of buildings on one title). A Chorus scoper will go to the site and map out requirements to make fibre available to every tenancy in the building. Chorus will then install the network from the street to the building(s) which includes a 'drop off point' for every unit in the building. They will then proceed with the full installation for the occupant who has actually ordered the service, but provision is made for all other units to be easily connected in future and generally no further network build is required for those future connections.

What this means is that all your new tenant upstairs has to do is place an order with their preferred retailer (ie Spark, Vodafone etc). Once Chorus receives that order from the retailer, they will recognise that all the network build has already been completed, and will simply book in an installation visit.

The Chorus technician will ask your tenant to sign the End User Terms document upon arrival. Please note that this document contains a clause/declaration stating that the tenant has sought the building owner's permission and has discussed and agreed the location of the fibre termination box with the building owner. You should make sure that you have this discussion with the tenant so your expectation regarding the location of the termination box inside the unit is agreed between you. Normally it is installed in the lounge area close to the tv, but it must also be close to a power socket and existing phone jackpoint.

In terms of timeframe, if your tenant were to place an order this week, I'd expect the installation to be completed within 5-10 days subject to technician availability. The installation will be done at no charge to the tenant or the building owner (based on standard install specifications).
      I have been told by the new tenant that Slingshot told her their is a $199 install fee for the upper level as it is listed only as 1 dwelling not 2. Would this be correct? So the tenant downstairs has her fiber connection already but tenant upstairs doesn't .The previous upstairs tenant was happy using VDSL which was available so did not require the fiber connection .
      Last edited by mrsaneperson; 25-03-2018, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
        I have been told by the new tenant that Slingshot told her their is a $199 install fee for the upper level as it is listed only as 1 dwelling not 2. Would this be correct? So the tenant downstairs has her fiber connection already but tenant upstairs doesn't .The previous upstairs tenant was happy using VDSL which was available so did not require the fiber connection .
        Hmmm this would usually only be a problem if the basement flat was unpermitted, although I have seen this situation arise at a property that had a permitted minor dwelling out the back - the fibre company only recognised that property as a single dwelling for some reason
        When building the network, the fibre companies always try to make enough network available for every dwelling, but can only do so if they know about every dwelling. Does the property you are referring to have a letterbox for each dwelling or do they share one?

If you send me a private message with the address I am happy to look into it for you.

Comment

Hmmm this would usually only be a problem if the basement flat was unpermitted, although I have seen this situation arise at a property that had a permitted minor dwelling out the back - the fibre company only recognised that property as a single dwelling for some reason
          When building the network, the fibre companies always try to make enough network available for every dwelling, but can only do so if they know about every dwelling. Does the property you are referring to have a letterbox for each dwelling or do they share one?

If you send me a private message with the address I am happy to look into it for you.
          Thanks for your response Simon. The basement flat was done by the previous owner as unpermitted works however the council accepted a "'safe & sanitary" certificate for those works which means no action to be taken by Council unless said situation of those works is altered. Nothing was imposed regarding living arrangements or restricted use of said facilities. So it has remained the status quo of the building since we purchased the property around 15 years ago when it was sold to us as a 3 bedroom plus one bedroom flat and have had the same tenant residing at the basement flat. Presently getting some one at Chorus to look into it but if it has no positive outcome i will send you a PM with the address.

I have another property too where only one fibre has been connected downstairs and upstairs tenant has not required it as yet as he is happy with VDSL , just hoping i wont have the same issue if that tenant wants a fibre connection; though Council have that address conferred as 2 dwellings.

A fibre connection can be run from the downstairs fibre to upstairs but i would rather have a separate connection to both lower and upper level.

Their is only one address box for both properties .
          Last edited by mrsaneperson; 27-03-2018, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Yes do let me know how you get on. I have several contacts at Chorus I can call on to help clarify any issues at this address.

In regards to the second property you mentioned, if council records show two separate dwellings (and addresses), Chorus will have allowed for both dwellings when planning and laying the network, so there should be no problem at all with that one. And because one dwelling already has fibre connected, the second dwelling should be able to get connected very easily, most likely with only one site visit required.

Comment

Yes do let me know how you get on. I have several contacts at Chorus I can call on to help clarify any issues at this address.

In regards to the second property you mentioned, if council records show two separate dwellings (and addresses), Chorus will have allowed for both dwellings when planning and laying the network, so there should be no problem at all with that one. And because one dwelling already has fibre connected, the second dwelling should be able to get connected very easily, most likely with only one site visit required.
              The Chorus chap has emailed me back and clarified that they would not charge for the install at the property referred to in the original post as it is a standard fibre install and that they only charge for non standard installs. He said there are no charges with standard fibre installs. I am hoping therefore that the tenants ISP Slingshot is not going to charge her the $199 that the tenant told me they would incur for the installation

Comment

Have you contacted Slingshot direct? My tenants weren't charged for their fibre upgrade with Slingshot just wondering if this is new?
                Kaye
                www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

I am hoping therefore that the tenants ISP Slingshot is not going to charge her the $199 that the tenant told me they would incur for the installation
                  Some ISPs charge if you don't sign a long contract with them.
                  The tenant might not want to sign up for 2 years?

Comment

Yes, i will have a chat to the tenant about it. I have agreed to cover costs but only if it were obligatory as part of the Chorus stance ,if this is the ISP's Slingshot charge then i should not be paying.

Comment

It has come to my understanding that the tenant may have confused the obligatory ""liven up"" fee of $199 - which is a standard ISP connection fee - as being the cost of running the fibre installation upstairs.
                      The ""liven up"" fee is what all customers pay when moving into any premises regardless if their is an existing fibre connection or not . It is often negated by the ISP if the customer signs up for a 12 month contract.

Comment

Oh no, worst fears confirmed, tenant got charged $199 and was told the install of fibre was not a standard connection.
                        Chorus have installed a second fibre box as per their request .
                        Apparently because the landlord [me] didn't want the second port of the existing fibre box activated.

Seems oddball as after having it confirmed as a standard install it turned into a non standard?

Comment

Oh no, worst fears confirmed, tenant got charged $199 and was told the install of fibre was not a standard connection.
                          Chorus have installed a second fibre box as per their request .
                          Apparently because the landlord [me] didn't want the second port of the existing fibre box activated.

Seems oddball as after having it confirmed as a standard install it turned into a non standard?
                          You have the email from the Chorus chap who said it was standard so can you fall back on that?

Did you really not want the second fibre livened?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                            You have the email from the Chorus chap who said it was standard so can you fall back on that?

Did you really not want the second fibre livened?
                            Update on this i contacted the Chorus chap by email again and he confirmed it was a standard install with no fee! 2degrees have then said as its only 1 property i am only entitled to 1 free Chorus connection.
                            On seeing the Chorus email i forwarded to them they are now going back to Chorus to query why it was free??!

Comment

On seeing the Chorus email i forwarded to them they are now going back to Chorus to query why it was free??!
                              I would have thought that Chorus would be paying and on-charging the ISP if it wasn't free.
                              If that is true why would 2Degrees not accept it is free - they wouldn't have to pay anything. They don't seem to be on your side!

Comment

Working...
                              X