No announcement yet.

Tenant Installed Fibre Without Homeowners Permission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I own a property that has a shared driveway. Plans show it as two, single driveways side-by-side, but in practice it is one extra-wide driveway that splits at the end where it diverges into the separate properties.
    Last year I got a consent form as one of the neighbours who shares the driveway had requested fibre. In (I presume) an attempt to future-proof, Chorus had decided to run it up 'my' side of the driveway (to reach the front neighbour) then cross under my driveway where it diverges, then go to the two houses on the other side.

This didn't suit me at all, as I am relocating another dwelling onto the property this year and the driveway will need to be at least partially ripped up for new services to go in for the new house. The proposed fibre cable would have been right in the way. So I sent it back, saying that they did not have my permission to install it as proposed and that they would need to run it in a different place.

Does this new legislation mean that they can put it where they wanted to, anyway? I know that my reason falls under the grounds you have mentioned, but I wouldn't want my project delayed while I waited for them to move it, if they just went ahead and did it.
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

BTW some of the 'non-response' from affected owners is their own fault.
      I got a request for a different property where there was no proposed route on the paperwork. Emailed them to say that I was not going to give them carte blanche to put it any old where they liked. They replied, asking for an office hours phone number that they could call me on to arrange a visit on. I replied, saying that there was no such office hours phone number and they would have to email. No reply. Just more of the same request form in the mail, which I ignored, having already informed them of my stance. They are the ones who failed to follow up.
      My blog. From personal experience.
      http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

You have to file an objection, which can be ignored unless you drown them with paperwork and photos. I have found the "I will not pay to repair your equipment when it is damaged if you do it this way" has been the most effective to get them to listen to reason. Most of the managers we have contacted have been particularly slimy and unhelpful.

Comment

Originally posted by sidinz View Post
          BTW some of the 'non-response' from affected owners is their own fault.
          I got a request for a different property where there was no proposed route on the paperwork. Emailed them to say that I was not going to give them carte blanche to put it any old where they liked. They replied, asking for an office hours phone number that they could call me on to arrange a visit on. I replied, saying that there was no such office hours phone number and they would have to email. No reply. Just more of the same request form in the mail, which I ignored, having already informed them of my stance. They are the ones who failed to follow up.
          The same happened to me.
          Got a letter saying I needed to give permission to let them install fibre.
          They didn't say where it was going and I don't want my drive dug up.
          So I asked for their plan of the installation.
          I'm still waiting - 2-3 years later.
          I'm not bothered - I don't need fibre.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonW View Post

If you have read this far, I commend you! I am happy to answer any questions you may have. Bear in mind that every property is different so no one rule will apply to any given property.
            Hi Simon,
            I have a brick wall on my driveway.
            Chorus have run a microtrench up the driveway to the wall.
            The fibre is in the trench and sealed over.
            At the wall, the fibre comes up from the trench and rises about 100mm up the brick wall.
            Chorus have drilled through the brick wall and poked the fibre through and run it along the inside of the brick wall at 100mm above the ground.
            Would this be classed as a category 2 install or a category 3 install?

Comment

Hi Vision,

Mixed bag to be honest with you, 90% of the time they do get consent but I've had one episode where they were going to do it without my consent, luckily I managed to intercept this from happening.

Ensure all the works is done to a workmanship like standard, the amount of times they haven't matched the original surfaces from when they are putting it back I've lost count so have had to go to their manager to get it addressed which eventually got sorted.

F
              Fraser Wilkinson
              www.managemyrental.co.nz
              Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Comment

Working...
              X