Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Load Bearing wall, council, insurance and mortgage questions ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Load Bearing wall, council, insurance and mortgage questions ...

Hi, long time lurker first time poster.

In December I purchase my first house and i'm in the process of turning it into a liveable home. I purchased outright (it was cheap) but got a small mortgage of 20K for improvements. The mortgage (ANZ <100K) was processed via a mobile manager without a valuation or P/Meth testing.

I'm in the process of trying to get a mortgage top up (a further 10K) as I under estimated. They've been difficult, initially declining a mortgage top up (it didn't fit within their business profile), prompting me to go via the personal loan route ... then declining that too for no given reason.

The mobile manager then initiated contact with me and asked for info about how money was spent, what specifically new funds would be used for, and photos of work to date (they already googled for the "before" photos) - all of which I provided.

Now they want to know if the insurance company knew the state of the property at purchase and as it is now. Without alluding to anything in particular, they've been quite insistent about this. I've had a number of conversations with my insurance company (AA) and renovation/decorating fits within my cover - unless it's structural, new build, recladding etc.

The penny dropped ... it's that blimmin’ load bearing wall which the previous owner hacked into! It is a 1.7m wall on one side of a staircase, on the otherwise of the staircase is a 3.9m load bearing wall which makes up the balance of the span. My builder jacked up the ceiling and rebuilt the 1.7m wall with new timber as it was the easiest and cleanest repair. It had to be fixed, the wall had a sag, the lintel had been compromised. The builder is very competent, highly regarded but only a part timer now and not registered/licensed. The work is to code and once gibbed, no one would be any the wiser.

So, my big questions around this are:
    1) if I come clean with my insurance company about this are they going to penalise me? Will I need to take out extra cover until this has been council certified?

2) Does this need to be council certified?

3) Bearing in mind I had insufficient insurance to cover structural anomalies, how likely is this to impact on my current mortgage - or a top up?

4) At time of purchase I elected not to test for P as there had been no electricity/running water here for years, the previous occupants had been the vendor and his family, the place had been largely stripped out by the vendor who due to health reasons and needing to free up funds for commercial investments decided to sell some of his run down/empty houses. The place had been broken into and vandalised over a period of about a month, so P could have been smoked but the chance of it being manufactured is pretty slim. Info about the history of the place has come from the vendor, neighbours, real estate agents (including independent agents), the school next door etc.

If the bank want P testing, can any one recommend a cost effective way to go about this? I don't buy too much into the hype, but I wouldn't be living here if I thought there was a remote chance it could have been a P lab. What I think and what the bank wants are probably not going to be equal here though.

Thanks very much for anyone who can help. It's been quite a stressful few weeks and this is all I have. I never thought I'd own a home and it's really nice to be here.

[QUOTE=BeBe;429644]Hi, long time lurker first time poster.

In December I purchase my first house and i'm in the process of turning it into a liveable home. I purchased outright (it was cheap) but got a small mortgage of 20K for improvements. The mortgage (ANZ <100K) was processed via a mobile manager without a valuation or P/Meth testing.

I'm in the process of trying to get a mortgage top up (a further 10K) as I under estimated. They've been difficult, initially declining a mortgage top up (it didn't fit within their business profile), prompting me to go via the personal loan route ... then declining that too for no given reason.

The mobile manager then initiated contact with me and asked for info about how money was spent, what specifically new funds would be used for, and photos of work to date (they already googled for the "before" photos) - all of which I provided.

Now they want to know if the insurance company knew the state of the property at purchase and as it is now. Without alluding to anything in particular, they've been quite insistent about this. I've had a number of conversations with my insurance company (AA) and renovation/decorating fits within my cover - unless it's structural, new build, recladding etc.

The penny dropped ... it's that blimmin’ load bearing wall which the previous owner hacked into! It is a 1.7m wall on one side of a staircase, on the otherwise of the staircase is a 3.9m load bearing wall which makes up the balance of the span. My builder jacked up the ceiling and rebuilt the 1.7m wall with new timber as it was the easiest and cleanest repair. It had to be fixed, the wall had a sag, the lintel had been compromised. The builder is very competent, highly regarded but only a part timer now and not registered/licensed. The work is to code and once gibbed, no one would be any the wiser.

So, my big questions around this are:
    1) if I come clean with my insurance company about this are they going to penalise me? Will I need to take out extra cover until this has been council certified?

2) Does this need to be council certified?

3) Bearing in mind I had insufficient insurance to cover structural anomalies, how likely is this to impact on my current mortgage - or a top up?

/QUOTE]

despite what people say schedule 1 allows for some structural repair without a consent under exemption 1 (2) as long as it isnt "a complete or substantial replacement of assembly contributing to structural behavior".

Councils will say no structure at all but the words do not support this and need to be defended.

what you describe is only a smallpart of the buildings structure and cannot be substantial?

Are you in Auckland? they offer to accept schedule 1 reports that document work done?

Comment

When you say cheap, how cheap? And once you've spent minimum of $30k on reno will that be it? Work on the house finished? Once completed what will the value be?

Comment

Hi JTB, thanks so much for replying and with great info! No, not in Auckland. I've read through Schedule 1 and everything else I can related to structural/load bearing and all the info seems to relate to creation, alteration or removal of - but not remedial work.

Insurance Co have got back to me and said yes naughty naughty you should have told us but hey, since you have fixed the problem then we're happy to continue coverage. But they won't commit to putting that in a letter so I can pass on to the bank. The bank have specifically asked for acknowledgement by the Insurance Co of condition both at purchase and as is now.

I suspect the bank know this is going to be problematic. I'm following up with an insurance broker and wonder if changing Insurance company (clean slate) would help - rather than risk the current insurance co from being pushed to acknowledge what they don't want to, and decline cover.

Meehole, thanks too for replying. Cheap was 36K. 2 doors down from me (same vendor) settled for 10K more 1 month after I did and they had much more to do than me. 30K in total would see it through to completion (the big work has been done). Value after would be minimum 70k but that is looking at similar properties nearby in need of a big refresh.

Comment

If you are going to be living in the home then you might have to get it to a stage that is livable and one that you can afford financially for now and finish it off as you get more funds. Reason being is that I believe the banks are now looking closely at the income and earnings of their clients, that being a major factor.
          The issue with the load bearing wall may be why you purchased it so cheap and now that is coming back to haunt you. However I am sure things will work out.
          When we were in ChCh some houses could only get reinsured for a while for fire and not earthquake damage. Talk with your insurance company and see if you can't work something out with them.

Comment

Hi JTB, thanks so much for replying and with great info! No, not in Auckland. I've read through Schedule 1 and everything else I can related to structural/load bearing and all the info seems to relate to creation, alteration or removal of - but not remedial work.

the first exemption 1 (2) applies to repairs and replacement This is what you did????

Comment

Working...
            X