A method to calculate rent increases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artemis View Post
    This is I think one of the proposed changes to the RTA. The changes will have to go to Select Committee and landlords should rise en masse and make submissions about the impact on themselves. It is not hard to submit, and numbers matter.

There is a severe rental shortage in many locations, which even MPs might have noticed. Perfect time for landlords to say - "You guys do this and I'm taking my ball and going home. And good luck with the 100,000 houses."

I think I have mentioned here before that when I have sat in on rental related SC hearings, nearly all the oral submissions have been from do-good organisations that rely on government funding. Generally light on facts and heavy on sob stories.
    Can you give directions for making a submission?

Comment

There is a process to be gone through first. There has to be a Bill presented to the House and then get passed through First Reading. Normally the Bill will go to Select Committee and anyone can make a submission in writing and then in person if they want to. It's not scary. There will be a lot of interest in the next RT Amendment Bill and the voices of landlords and PMs will be drowned out by members of Renters United, tenants encouraged by Labour MPs, and the usual do gooders. Unless landlords make their voices heard.

The Bill will take a while to put together and get to First Reading. We can be sure that Mr Robertson will be taking notice of all the tenants who have their emails papering his electoral office window, and might not realise that announced government policies might just make things a lot worse for tenants. After all he is only the Minister of Finance.

I have made short submissions in an email, and a couple of longer ones in a pdf document attached to an email.

There is more at the below link on making submissions. Parliament does make it as easy as possible, and is good at keeping submitters informed of progress. It's democracy.

If you have something to say about a bill or other item before a select committee, you may be able to make a submission about it. Select committees ask for your opinion by ‘calling for submissions’.

ETA This Bill will go the the Social Services Select Committee.

Comment

Parliament does make it as easy as possible, and is good at keeping submitters informed of progress. It's democracy.

www.parliament.nz/en/pb/sc/how-to-make-a-submission/

I made submissions to the 2010 RTA amendments.
        I found the process was not all that good.
        They rang me the afternoon before the hearing with no warning it was coming up. I had to make a last minute flight to Wellington then the given time was significantly different to the actual time. So it cost me return flight fares to Wellington and a whole day there. The members were rude to me and tried to use up the small amount of time allocated to me on silly questions which limited my ability to make my case.
        I might add however that my suggestion on abandoned goods was accepted pretty much as submitted with only minor alterations to the terms.
        This is democracy!

Comment

I think I have mentioned here before that when I have sat in on rental related SC hearings, nearly all the oral submissions have been from do-good organisations that rely on government funding. Generally light on facts and heavy on sob stories.
          If there's to be any co-ordination, count me in.

I've been to one or two before.

Even petitioned parliament. (unsuccessfully)

But hey! Maybe that's another option?

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
            I found the process was not all that good.
            They rang me the afternoon before the hearing with no warning it was coming up. I had to make a last minute flight to Wellington then the given time was significantly different to the actual time. So it cost me return flight fares to Wellington and a whole day there. The members were rude to me and tried to use up the small amount of time allocated to me on silly questions which limited my ability to make my case.
            I had one postponed because parliament had gone into urgency. (Probably to vote on an increase to the woodenheads' pensions)

The Hearing was re-scheduled, but from W'gton to Auckland.

The only good thing was the Auckland SC Hearing was at an airport hotel.

No rudeness like you experienced, though.

I actually got thanked (by the chairman) for making the effort to come.

Comment

There is a process to be gone through first. There has to be a Bill presented to the House and then get passed through First Reading. Normally the Bill will go to Select Committee and anyone can make a submission in writing and then in person if they want to. It's not scary. There will be a lot of interest in the next RT Amendment Bill and the voices of landlords and PMs will be drowned out by members of Renters United, tenants encouraged by Labour MPs, and the usual do gooders. Unless landlords make their voices heard.

The Bill will take a while to put together and get to First Reading. We can be sure that Mr Robertson will be taking notice of all the tenants who have their emails papering his electoral office window, and might not realise that announced government policies might just make things a lot worse for tenants. After all he is only the Minister of Finance.

I have made short submissions in an email, and a couple of longer ones in a pdf document attached to an email.

There is more at the below link on making submissions. Parliament does make it as easy as possible, and is good at keeping submitters informed of progress. It's democracy.

If you have something to say about a bill or other item before a select committee, you may be able to make a submission about it. Select committees ask for your opinion by ‘calling for submissions’.

Thank you for the information. I will be making a submission. As mentioned,in other posts, if we flood parliament with submissions, it might...... be heard.

Comment

Agree with the above that Landlords need to be heard. It's very one sided as usual.

If only there was some sort of association that could represent Landlords.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsvee View Post
                  Agree with the above that Landlords need to be heard. It's very one sided as usual.

If only there was some sort of association that could represent Landlords.
                  There are Property Investor Assns dotted around NZ.

There is also a NZ Property Investors Assn.[NZPIF]

Flyernzl is on the Board of the NZPIF.

Flyernzl / Peter is a regular and valued contributor to the PropertyTalk forums.

See also: Ban on Letting Fees

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                    There are Property Investor Assns dotted around NZ.

There is also a NZ Property Investors Assn.[NZPIF]

Flyernzl is on the Board of the NZPIF.

Flyernzl / Peter is a regular and valued contributor to the PropertyTalk forums.

See also: Ban on Letting Fees
                    Sorry Perry, that was done more tongue in cheek.

Well aware there are some around, just never seem to see them in the media voicing concerns or correcting misinformation. Thus never been motivated to join a silent voice.

I'm sure they do a lot of good work behind the scenes, but it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil. And LL's need a lot of oil.

Comment

Biased Much?

Well aware there are some around, just never seem to see them in the media voicing concerns or correcting misinformation. Thus never been motivated to join a silent voice.
                      A common observation. Seems to be one of those: what came first things. Critical mass or success that attracts the masses.

I'm sure they do a lot of good work behind the scenes, but it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil. And LL's need a lot of oil.
                      Perhaps you meant that LLs need to collectively squeak a lot more often and a lot more stridently?

I agree.

I've been blathering on about it in this thread.
                      LLs need to stop being mild-mannered, softly-spoken, politically-correct and nice.

Comment

So time to get our pitchforks out, form an angry mob and go hunting wabbit?

And thank you for a decent response. Appreciated.

Comment

It would seem only fair to ensure that the tenant gets independent legal advice as there will be a lot of variance between tenancies.
                          Hamish Patel | ph: 09 625 4693 | mob: 021 625 693
                          My Website
                          Be informed - register for our free monthly newsletter

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                            I think we need to cap petrol price increases to once every 12 months and a formula for future price increases to be made public.
                            Fantastic! This approach can apply to all necessities. Food, water, clothing and intl airfares (for those MPs permanently leaving NZ)

Comment

But what is the true cost?

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                              i wonder if you can set a no less than formula....this would ensure us poor landlords are protected so we can go on providing much needed accommodation.

no less than the increase in costs associated with providing the rental of rates, insurance, maintenance, management fees etc.
                              So if i do all my own maintenance, my time would effectively be worth zero. This would encourage me to use tradies to do all upgrades because i'd be able to build those costs legitimately into the rent (so why waste my time improving a house if i can't).

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkingbutnotdoing View Post
                                So if i do all my own maintenance, my time would effectively be worth zero. This would encourage me to use tradies to do all upgrades because i'd be able to build those costs legitimately into the rent (so why waste my time improving a house if i can't).
                                A while ago I was talking to a person who worked in the Canadian electrical generation industry.
                                Like NZ they are limited in the rate of return - based on capital cost.
                                So they don't really care what they pay for capital works and they then earn an income off that.
                                So a lot of what they build is gold plated (he was on the communications side of the industry) and unneccssary.

Much like what you are (rightly) suggesting here.

Comment

Working...
                                X