quick upgrade before rental - any tips please on which are vital and not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick upgrade before rental - any tips please on which are vital and not

Hi we're moving intercity quite quickly so will be renting out a 70's, 4 bed, 2 bath in West Auckland.
    We have a low budget in terms of getting some problem zones up to scratch to rent.
    (I've been landlord in the past but of a modern unit so this is quite different and will be the only rental we have).

So the type of tenant it would probably appeal to would be family with young kids.
    Has lawns, native reserve outlook, use of at least half of the double garage, and plenty of offstreet parking down a cul de sac in a very tranquil area. Can't see it going to house sharers as it's not that close to loads of public transport or shops, 3-5 mins walk to bus routes. The house is typical 70's and in average good condition rather than modern up to the minute.
    Carpet is older. Curtains are plain but not too ugly retro. Has a new heat pump and open fire.

My specific questions are how much upgrade do we do - without over doing it (since budget is low).
    Already put in new oven and new compact ensuite to master bedroom and new heat pump.
    Realise upgrades are tax deductable once rented but think we NEED to do a few of these before get a tenant to ensure a good rental and quality of tenant?

My bug bears that I think we need to fix up are these (please tell me if any are not worth it in your eyes or tips around this?):

-Kitchen electric/ceramic Hob is atrociously slow to heat and change temp. Element may be compromised? It's going bit rusty around edges. I'd put an axe through it if had to stay!
    We have to change it out surely?! Would you do electric again (are they better enough now, or cheapest induction?) What's good and hardy for tenants?

-Kitchen benchtop looks 80's/90's colour, is actually sticky (gross) and the colour (green flecks) is wearing off to white where we've tried to scrub sticky off. So that's so crap surely we need to replace it when new hob goes in? It must only be about 3.5 meters.

-The kitchen drawer fronts are old varnished look pock marked by water, and wood's gone fluffy around edges (am hoping we can just replace the fronts or get some cut replacements onto them).

-The under sink corner cupboard door has also gone very fluffy and won't close flush (hoping can replace - may be hard to colour match with rest of kitchen colour nowdays. Muted old green/olive)

Then - is this optional or dumb if we don't for tenants who take less care right? :...
    There's no kitchen extractor over hob. Probably because there's a glass boxed out conservatory style window glass above and around the kitchen bench, and so moisture gathers and drips on the floors and bench and hob. Opening windows are a half metre away but tenants may not bother?

Main Bathroom, has a large shub bathtub with old glass sliding doors - again NO extractor. (no showerdome)
    -Should we get an extractor (no mould at present) but ceiling is peeling.
    -Is it worth fixing the slightly peeling ceiling YET. You can't see any mould. Just looks a bit poor.

Carpet - old throughout. Wouldn't notice too much apart from feels thin and threadbare patches in master bedroom.
    Should we wait and see on that. Tenants could use rugs in bedroom?

Very interested in your thoughts as we want to get good tenants and good rent, but our budget is preventing us really doing up the place to a higher standard.
    It's not horrible by any means just 'average'!

Thank you,
    Vicki

I would be inclined to make a list of what can be done with little or not disruption to tenants, then rent it out more or less as is, at average rent for the area or even a bit less. Letting the tenants know you understand it has some only average aspects but have a plan over time, but some for when vacant.

There are tenants for any rent price range, and a bit cheaper will appeal to some.

I would undertake to replace the hob within a couple of months, once rent is coming in, as that has a daily impact and can be done with little disruption. I don't like ceramic hobs in rentals as they have to be cleaned regularly if they are not to get layers of hard to move gunk. I would also make sure there are security stays on bathroom and other windows for ventilation, and make it really clear tenants are expected to air the house daily and advise asap if mould appears.

Could consider allowing a dog esp if carpets will be replaced when next vacant.

Comment

Can be a hassle arranging work to an occupied property. If an important chattel faulty replace it BEFORE tenant moves in. Think about it. You consult with tenant about access for contractor. Contractor then cant make it at the time agreed upon, call the tenant back but they at work and dont pick up. Get keys to contractor, arrange for eventual return. Contractor then needs additional time or to order more bits. Start the consulting process over never mind the tenant cant use whats expected. Massive waste of time organising and chasing people up. My strongest advice is do the bits and pieces while the place vacant - long run saves everyone ton aggravation

Comment

Working...
      X