Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting part of a house in Auckland

Hi, first time poster.

Apologies if this has been covered before. I had a quick look through to find a similar topic first. Also, there is a minefield of information out there and I'm having trouble processing it all, so help from more knowledgeable folk would be appreciated.

My Mother lives alone in a large four bedroom home and would like to convert the bottom of the house to rent out. The lower half already contains a bedroom with ensuite, as well as a lounge and laundry room. She'd like to convert the laundry into a kitchenette which would make the unit perfectly self contained. The renovation should be quite simple as all that would need to be put in would be a door to seperate the new area from her part of the house, and the kitchenette.

Could she legally rent this lower area out? Would it be easier to classify the tenant as a boarder (being mindful of the fact that there will be a locked door separating her part of the house from the tenant so not sure if this is kosher or not)? Where does one even start when wanting to do something like this? She's already had a builder in to give her quotes for the job and he said that she won't need council consent for the job but I would like to make sure of that and that she won't have issues renting the space out once it's done.

Any advice is gladly appreciated.

There is a poster on here "John The Builder" who is an expert in these areas. However it is probably worth paying an architect for a couple of hours to come and look at your Mum's home because he'll be able to speak with you both directly and save a ton of time.
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Chris,
      There are a number of things at play. if you have a stove and or another sink it becomes classed as an MHU. If you don't get consent then you will need to advise your insurance company that you are letting an unconsented dwelling otherwise if there is a fire your claim may be denied. Many people just throw caution to the wind. The main costs will be around development contributions payable to the council and they can give you an estimate over the phone if you tell them, plus you will have a building consent fee. You don't need an architect. A competent architectural draughtsman will be able to advise you. I'd start with my insurance company and check their appetite for unconsented work.

Comment

Originally posted by toby View Post
        Chris,
        There are a number of things at play. if you have a stove and or another sink it becomes classed as an MHU. If you don't get consent then you will need to advise your insurance company that you are letting an unconsented dwelling otherwise if there is a fire your claim may be denied. Many people just throw caution to the wind. The main costs will be around development contributions payable to the council and they can give you an estimate over the phone if you tell them, plus you will have a building consent fee. You don't need an architect. A competent architectural draughtsman will be able to advise you. I'd start with my insurance company and check their appetite for unconsented work.
        Thank you Toby and Nick G for your replies.

Regarding the installation of a stove and sink - the laundry room already has a sink installed and by coincidence there is a fridge in there too being used for overflow from the main fridge in the kitchen. Since there is already a sink in there, I'm thinking we could get away with replacing it with a newer, modern one, throwing in a few cupboards with counter top and leaving the fridge where it is. Regarding the stove - could we get away with one of those portable electric counter top stoves without it being deemed a MHU? For all intents and purposes it will still be a "laundry", except with and a portable counter top stove and perhaps a microwave being in there.

If we can get away with the above and avoid it being a MHU, is there any reason we can't install a locked door between my Mum's part of the house and the tenants part of the house? And perhaps run it as a flatting situation?

As for your suggestion on insurance, we'll definitely make sure that they are advised.

Comment

It is a confused area

make it a granny flat as part of the same house and then rent the flat to flatmates and granny stay upstairs (or down).

This avoids fire and sound sepoeartion and should avoid dev levys as you are not establishing another household, If you want a seperate flat and sepearte tenacy then minor dwelling is the way to go but building act requires fire and sound sepeartion and maybe other code requirements. Minor dwelling is the optimum but could be 100000 upgrade (but does add value to the property) You may need parking and living court areas as well?

Tobys remarks on unconsenyed work are valid but dont be frightened of 'unconsented work' it is lawful and may be possible under schedule 1

The granny flat may not need a building consent if no 'consentable' work is required. For example a sanitary fixture in another part of the house can be relocated/utilised for the sink that may be required, Stove etc is energy work certified by electrician.

As long a there is disclosure Insurance should not be an issue even if work is unlawful unless this work causes a loss(fire or flood) die to the substandard work but if you used a registered electrician/plumber (or get it checked and certified as safe)then you are absolved and insurer can go them if they want.

Comment

Hi Chris,
            Yes, that's what I would do. Just make sure you cover your butt insurance wise. Tell them it is an existing area and that it's a stovetop system rather than full hob and that you have not done any additional works so far as plumbing and you should be A OK. I have had multiple dealings with house insurance so can tell you it is b est to cover yourself.

Comment

Working...
            X