90 Day Notice Reasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 Day Notice Reasons

If we have to give a reason - thought I'd better start making a helpful list:

- Tenants have gone feral.
    - Venus-Jupiter conjunction is coming and the rental has the best view.
    - They're cooking the ducks they catch from the park in a strong smelling curry.
    - Need richer tenants to pay more rent so I can afford to pay all the new taxes.
    - Quia tale sensi (Because I felt like it).

Any good suggestions?
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Breached their obligations as a tenant and we have warned them.

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

Are we going to have to give a reason in the future?
      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
        Are we going to have to give a reason in the future?
        Who knows what changes this government will introduce around rentals. Labour has however indicated the only valid reasons for termination will be rent arrears or damage to the property. Maybe only upon order of the TT.

Got a feeling such changes may not be top of the government list. Mr Twyford must be aware that landlords will act quickly to protect their interests. Which may involve pushing rents up to the max as rental availability continues to fall and choosing only the very best tenants from the larger applicant pool.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
          Mr Twyford must be aware that landlords will act quickly to protect their interests. Which may involve pushing rents up to the max as rental availability continues to fall and choosing only the very best tenants from the larger applicant pool.
          it's already started.

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
            it's already started.
            I believe that to be the case and Trademe and vacancy ad stats do support that. However, there are some out there who say not so, based largely on analysis of bonds lodged. See the below thread for more. One of the posters in that thread has posted many times on the rental warrant of fitness, always defending it, just saying ....

Trade Me is New Zealand's leading shopping website, with thousands of online auctions and classifieds. Buy and sell online at TradeMe.co.nz!

Comment

I have no issue with a mandated minimum standard of rentals - or anything for that matter. The issue comes for those who can't afford the price increases that result from the increase in the standard.

We spent 2017 upgrading all of our rentals to what we anticipate will be the standard, insulation, heat pumps, rangehoods in kitchens and exhaust fans in bathrooms/laundries (ventilation) - there could be more work we need to do when the legislation comes in but the work done in 2017 will help manage cash flow impact. The rents are already up behind these changes and the demand is strong. The ROI on the changes is a one year payback so I'm happy to comply with the new standards.

Local LL's that I talk to are far less willing to comply and are looking to sell their rental - this will drive consolidation of rental ownership or removal if these rentals from the rental pool - further driving rental prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                Local LL's that I talk to are far less willing to comply and are looking to sell their rental - this will drive consolidation of rental ownership or removal of these rentals from the rental pool - further driving rental prices.
                Of course, that scenario leads to a few questions.
                1) Who will [be able to] afford to buy those rentals;
                2) What will be the cost [and other] consequences of a reduced pool of residential rentals?
                3) What will Slyford and Taxcindarella's response be to those consequences?

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                  Of course, that scenario leads to a few questions.
                  1) Who will [be able to] afford to buy those rentals;
                  2) What will be the cost [and other] consequences of a reduced pool of residential rentals?
                  3) What will Slyford and Taxcindarella's response be to those consequences?
                  Who will be able to afford to buy? Depends what they are and where they are located. We hear heaps about Auckland prices but there is a huge hinterland of rural and small towns with completely different pricing, quite a few in 5 figures out there.

Adding compliance costs such as insulation, heat pump and whatever else is dreamed up where the rent is $150 pw for a 2 or 3 beddie is quite different to a 2 or 3 beddie in Epsom.

Must be tempting to sell up to an owner occupier who can upgrade if and when they choose.

Those provincial landlords have some hard decisions to make.

Comment

health risk to tenant

flies, fleas, cockroaches and bed-bug infestation
                    have you defeated them?
                    your demons

Comment

Have been told by our PM - LLs keen to sell up due to pending new rules, regulations etc.

I guess that too is a reason for the 90 day notice. Is it still 42 days if you want to occupy the property?

cheers,

Donna
                      Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

No.1 reason for 90 day notice might become:
                        - Changing to furnished short term AirBnB rental to avoid draconian tenancy laws.
                        The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Oh, dear! Not another unintended consequence.

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
                            I guess that too is a reason for the 90 day notice. Is it still 42 days if you want to occupy the property?
                            The rules haven't changed yet.
                            If the property is owned by a company then can the company 'occupy' the house?
                            The TT has ruled in the past that it can't.

Comment

I remember that case. But thinking back, it seems to be quite a stretch unless neither of the company directors were to assume occupancy.

Comment

Working...
                              X