Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Sound proofing compulsory?

Hi property investors.

I have a rental house that has been converted into 2 flats by the previous owner, and the conversion was approved by the council.
    One of the tenant complained that he can hear noise from the tenant in the other unit, and he claimed that it is compulsory to have soundproofing as the 2 units are attached to each other.

I am confused whether it is compulsory or not? Any suggestion of what kind of soundproof if it is compulsory?

Thank you

It can be an issue with some older house to flat conversions. I'm not sure if it is compulsory but may be worth considering longer term.

Technically it could fall under 45 (1) (e)
    "take all reasonable steps to ensure that none of the landlord’s other tenants causes or permits any interference with the reasonable peace, comfort, or privacy of the tenant in the use of the premises."

Would you live in a property where you could hear your neighbours walking down the hall/talking?

I had a friend put some sort of polystrene sheet then gib between the two flats which seemed to work. There are also some Gib products that have noise reduction properties.

Craig

Comment

Thank you Craig,

that sounds reasonable. I have asked city council but they have no idea. This forum has much better knowledge

I have contacted a contractor to have a look for quotation, i think it's better for both tenants and me since it's not too expensive and can be good long term

Comment

Doesn't matter how much sound insulation you install, if the neighbour makes enough noise it will get through.

You might be looking at the problem from the wrong end ? Might be cheaper and easier to look at the source ?

Comment

sound separation is only triggerred when there is a change of use and owner is required to upgrade where there was not a household unit before. So it is not "compulsory"

It is not a requirement to upgrade existing buildings. Your tenant needs to find a quieter rental preferably a standalone if they are so sensitive?

polished floors are a curse and gib walls need a gib rail fixing system to avoid transmission

Comment

You don't need to upgrade until you alter something significant in the downstairs flat.

That said, it can be worth doing, but it won't be cheap. Do you have any other deferred upgrades you could make at the same time?
            Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

s112 building act applies to upgrades and doesnt require upgrade for G6 airbourne and impact sound.

It is all voluntary

Comment

I'm doing a project now that requires fire-rating the ceiling of the downstairs unit. It seems I have to put a lot more in for acoustics.... is this different?

Question from Builder -
                Quick question regarding the fire-rating on the floor/ceiling, just curious about the 16mm + 13mm fyreline gib board to be installed - I know that for floor/ceiling fire rating you can just install 16mm fyreline and that is a 60 minute fire resistance rating, is there a specific reason you have added the extra 13mm fyreline as well?

Reply from architect -
                Unfortunately we need the additional Gib for acoustics. The existing floor upstairs is tongue and groove, which is not part of the Gib tested systems in terms of acoustic ratings. We had to talk to Gib who advised a universal ceiling approach was required, with the additional lining providing enough to gain the required STC ratings

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                s112 building act applies to upgrades and doesnt require upgrade for G6 airbourne and impact sound.

It is all voluntary
                Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Thank you for all the responses, yes i have told the tenant that the conversion was done in accordance to the rules at that time and has been signed off by council, and this new rules might apply only for a new conversion. Good to know that it is voluntary.

Not planning any upgrades at the moment.

Comment

Nick G

you are asking council to create another household unit? This needs upfrade as change of use is involved.

but I suspect your designer has overcooked the requirements which is usually 30/30/30 fire sepeartaion

was there a fire report done?

Comment

I have a 1960's brick veneer house into which I recently had Insulmax retro-fit blown insulation installed. They basically blow the loose fibres into the wall cavity under pressure, via holes drilled in either the outside cladding, or the internal wall lining. the holes are then mortared/plastered up and painted.

Apart from the obvious heat retention benefits I have noticed (and boy have I noticed!), I also noticed a remarkable reduction in the level of sound transmitted either way. I can no longer hear cars driving past as much as I used to. I also have a pretty decent home theatre room and I used to clearly hear movie dialogue or music from the stereo while standing 10 metres away from the house. Now it's very very much reduced to the point that it's nothing more than faint background noise.

To install such insulation between your two units would be very easy - the installer would drill small holes (5-10mm) in the GIB on one side, pump in the insulation, then plaster up the holes. A quick sand and paint and you're done. To insulate my entire 110 square metre house cost around $4500. I imagine to do one wall would be less than $1000 depending on the length. Because it's an internal wall, there should be no council consent requirements either. It's possibly worth considering, especially if you were to put an extra layer of GIB NoiseLine over the existing GIB while you're at it - on either one or both sides. That would probably eliminate almost all noise entirely.

Comment

Second unit is there but it's an extensive remodel, a complete gut job. Sorry, what do you mean by 30 / 30 / 30?

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                        Nick G

you are asking council to create another household unit? This needs upfrade as change of use is involved.

but I suspect your designer has overcooked the requirements which is usually 30/30/30 fire sepeartaion

was there a fire report done?

Comment

Working...
                        X