Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant burning candles - Wellington

Hi Guys,

I have a tenant burning open fire candles in the property. I am obviously concerned of the fire risk, especially if an EQ comes.

so, do I have any rights to stop her using candles?
    What is the best option I have?

Thanks much!
    Pete

The number one cause of house fires in most western world countries, including NZ , is cooking or kitchen fires. So why not ban cooking in the rental first?

You can count the number of candle fires on one hand each year but if you’re that concerned you could ban their use in your TA.

Comment

i know of a fire where the owner (space cadet spiritual type) lit a candle on the bedside table by a curtain and went out forgetting the candle.....120k later

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
        The number one cause of house fires in most western world countries, including NZ , is cooking or kitchen fires. So why not ban cooking in the rental first?
        Tricky reasoning.

As most people need to eat, cooking, using the kitchen is largely an essential activity.

Unless defaulting on the electricity bill, burning candles is not.

Then there's birthday cakes . . . .

Perhaps it would be sufficient to say that the tenant will be responsible for $xxx insurance excess in the event of a fire caused by the discretionary use of candles for lighting?

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
          Tricky reasoning.

As most people need to eat, cooking, using the kitchen is largely an essential activity.

Unless defaulting on the electricity bill, burning candles is not.

Then there's birthday cakes . . . .

Perhaps it would be sufficient to say that the tenant will be responsible for $xxx insurance excess in the event of a fire caused by the discretionary use of candles for lighting?
          Fires from Christmas lights are just as risky. Let’s add to the anti-landlord flavour and ban Christmas from our rentals too. 😈

Comment

we are talking about candles lit for hours in very close proximity of other items in the house.
            Its a multi level house, with other tenants, children.

I would not care about bday cakes and what not, but this is ongoing.
            also fragrant burners are used constantly too. Fire alarm is on and could be heard a few times.

Obviously I would not ban cooking (pretty idiotic to suggest) but candles are not essential, and No:3 on the list of cause for house fires.

Thanks!

Comment

Candles leave a nasty residue on everything that is hard to clean off. Its candle wax by name .

Dammed hard to clean of fabrics like lounge seat and curtains.

I would give her a notice to desist or face the cleaning bill and a fire risk premium.

Just caught out one of mine using a LPG burner for cooking despite a perfectly good stove that I have not long ago replaced. Think this one is going to be sent packing off back to the islands.

Comment

Candles produce smoke residue and a naked flame it could be argued that you could include their ban in any no smoking policy that preexists in the TA.

Comment

Those old Wellington places are like dry kindling...

You self manage, right? I'd just go and have a word with her. Your concern about the fire risk is legit. I don't know what boundaries you could enforce, however a conversation to start with is best. Maybe she can agree to have each of them in a shallow dish with some water. Heck, it will probably add to the ambience.
                  Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

I'm not really sure you could to be honest, why don't you just advise her that you have concerns about it and see what she comes back with....
                    Fraser Wilkinson
                    www.managemyrental.co.nz
                    Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Comment

most deaths are drunks falling a sleep (with cigarettes, cooking or worse) and then the next is candles. Apart from recreational use (birthdays and dinners?) regular and long term use is an accident waiting to happen.

use s116B of the building act
                      this makes it an offense for a person to use a buildings for a use that is not safe (s116(1) (a). Ring the local fire brigade and ask them what they think? I suspect they will be appalled. The next move is for them to approach the occupiers or the council.

If fire service say its safe then?? At least you have brought thios to the powers that be?

Comment

Working...
                      X