Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Membrane vs iron multidek

Hi There,

Just posting my doubts here to see if anyone had similar experiences or for any comments from people in building industry.

I am getting my corrugated iron roof replaced and house has got flat roof section over dining room that has got multidek equivalent profile at the moment as per roofers. Some roofers are recommending multidek profile and others are recommending membrane as iron roof on a flat section isn't covered under manufacturing warranty. Some roofers don't seem to know about flat section rule in terms of warranty?

I am now confused which one to go for like to like or change to membrane? Does anyone know if membrane is popular for residential use or only for commercial? If I choose membrane, does it require any consents or code of compliance checks? If I choose membrane, I guess that people can't walk on it? If I choose membrane, will it deterirate house value (though I am not planning to sell anytime soon, I am just thinking as roof won't be touched for many years)?

Your comments will really appreciated.

Is there any slope on the flat roof section atm? Usually you will need a minimum of 3degrees fall for metal roofing. If you have this, then I would suggest going for a metal product to maintain consistency with the rest of your roof.
    If not, then a metal roof is not recommended, you won't get a warranty and you may have to use membrane instead. I'm not 100% sure, but i would think you will need building consent to modify this from the original design.

Membrane is used in residential building, usually on high end architectural houses, much less so on normal houses. Membrane can be walked on, they just need to be careful they don't puncture through it. Nuralite makes a product which is highly puncture resistant. I would avoid butynol if possible, get products that require a permanent torch on weld at the joints and not glues.

I do believe people still have a negative view towards membrane, especially for lay people when they are looking to buy a residential property. If the area isn't too big, i don't think it will affect the value too much, but that is my 2cents.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
      Is there any slope on the flat roof section atm? Usually you will need a minimum of 3degrees fall for metal roofing. If you have this, then I would suggest going for a metal product to maintain consistency with the rest of your roof.
      If not, then a metal roof is not recommended, you won't get a warranty and you may have to use membrane instead. I'm not 100% sure, but i would think you will need building consent to modify this from the original design.

Membrane is used in residential building, usually on high end architectural houses, much less so on normal houses. Membrane can be walked on, they just need to be careful they don't puncture through it. Nuralite makes a product which is highly puncture resistant. I would avoid butynol if possible, get products that require a permanent torch on weld at the joints and not glues.

I do believe people still have a negative view towards membrane, especially for lay people when they are looking to buy a residential property. If the area isn't too big, i don't think it will affect the value too much, but that is my 2cents.
      Thank you very much for all your comments and advise. AlexL. Regarding slope on current roof, I got varied measurements, some roofers mentioned as around 1degree slope recommending membrane and some mentioning just under 3degrees recommending multidek profile.
      Even surprised to see huge difference with roof measurements between different people, lol.
      Last edited by aucklandn81; 14-11-2017, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aucklandn81 View Post
        Thank you very much for all your comments and advise. AlexL. Regarding slope on current roof, I got varied measurements, some roofers mentioned as around 1degree slope recommending membrane and some mentioning just under 3degrees recommending multidek profile.
        Even surprised to see huge difference with roof measurements between different people, lol.
        If you are getting your quotes through Builders Crack or No Cowboys I would not be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Meehole View Post
          If you are getting your quotes through Builders Crack or No Cowboys I would not be surprised.
          Oh, Ok. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X