Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home and income question

Hi guys

Just a question regarding home and income property. What is the difference between "home and income" and a "2 flat property"?

Am I right in saying a H and I property can't be rented out as two seperate tenancies? If this is the case, if I buy to live in the "income part" (1 bed 1 bath ) and rent the 3 bedroom house out upstairs, what is the procedure if I want to move out of my part of the house and rent to someone else? Is this allowed ? Do the upstairs tenants have to agree ? Any info around this would be very helpful and I hope the question/wording makes sense.

Thanks

I didn’t think H&I is a legal term. It is used by agents to market properties with a separate income stream... in fact that implies that the second dwelling can be let separately. We have a home and income property which is two houses.

A granny flat is usually restricted and can’t be rented out separately - so you see boarder arrangements.
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

A granny flat is usually restricted and can’t be rented out separately - so you see boarder arrangements.
      you can rent out each bedroom if you want? What law stops you?

if isnt that you cant it is a matter of how and what you rent.

Granny flats can be rented and there is no law that disctates what you can rent (apart from fit for purpose and basic RTA stuff)

What confuses the situation is separate households. If you have a separate household then you have neighbors and even perhaps separate owner. The building act likes fire and sound separation for these A home and income usually denotes separate households.

When council note on plans for granny that these cant be rented they are saying cannot be rented as separate household so make sure that either you are owner and you are renting a part of your household or if renting both set it up as a shared tenancy where 'you' live in those rooms and 'you' live in these (and this might not be written but the understanding but 'you are all' only one household.

Even if council say this it is not enforceable except thpose stupid RTA decsisions recently were trying to ,make this the case?.

There is a lot of bullshit and ignorance over this so be clear and be prep[ared for a challenge
      Last edited by John the builder; 11-11-2017, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X