Minor Dwelling - Christchurch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor Dwelling - Christchurch

Hi there, has anyone had any experience with building minor dwellings in Christchurch? I have a property that allows the addition of a minor dwelling and looking at building one to the maximum allowable size of 80m2. Looking at engaging a draughtsman to do the drawings. Any advice is much appreciated.

Hi There, I just built a minor dwelling and I thought the maximum size allowable was 80m2 till I found out I was allowed to add a internal garage to that. It added an extra cost to the build but over all I believe it attracted a better tenant and increased value in the short and long term. Worth going into your council to see the town planner and ask him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbucca View Post
      ...have a property that allows the addition of a minor dwelling and looking at building one to the maximum allowable size of 80m2.
      Would you mind briefly sharing what the criteria is for allowing a minor dwelling up to 80m2 is in Christchurch?

Comment

Did you get plans done by an architect and then got a builder or did you get the build company to do the plans as well?

What was the cost to build per m2?

Comment

Got a draughtsman to draw up some plans and then I submitted a PIM to the CCC. The CCC came back with a list of changes. Got told by the duty planner that the total floor area including an internal access garage cannot exceed 80m2. But on the other hand, I could build the minor dwelling up to 80m2 then add a garage separate to the minor dwelling (provided site coverage is not exceeded). That didn't make sense to me. There were some other changes required, but in the end decided to put the project on hold.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbucca View Post
            Got a draughtsman to draw up some plans and then I submitted a PIM to the CCC. The CCC came back with a list of changes. Got told by the duty planner that the total floor area including an internal access garage cannot exceed 80m2. But on the other hand, I could build the minor dwelling up to 80m2 then add a garage separate to the minor dwelling (provided site coverage is not exceeded). That didn't make sense to me. There were some other changes required, but in the end decided to put the project on hold.
            Just wondering if you've gone ahead with the project? We're looking to add a minor dwelling on our property in Christchurch and would love any recommendations.

Comment

Communication broke down with my last architect, so have got a new one. Did a site visit with her just last week and she is drawing up plans for me over the next couple of weeks. She's charging me $6500 for everything which includes going to council. I've been to versatile and they are a one stop shop, they quoted me $220,000 - $240,000 for a 3bdrm but I reckon I can do it cheaper. I'm aiming for under $200k. I've decided to go down the path of hiring individual contractors and I'm a sparky myself so can save some $$ there. I'm in no hurry with this project as the tenants are happy in the main dwelling.

Comment

Thanks - we're looking at a few options. One is with a company called My Build Sorted. They draw plans and pitch out to builders. YOu get to choose the builder. Their cost is then built into the build cost. Seems smart but I'd love to talk to someone who's gone down this route before we do!

Also looking at plans from Custom Kit...

Comment

Working...
                X