Hot water cylinder. Rheem vs Rinnai?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water cylinder. Rheem vs Rinnai?

The old low pressure hot water cylinder needs to go.

Contemplating which one I should get? Rheem or Rinnai?

They both looks OK. Rinnai is slightly cheaper than Rheem and I thought they are otherwise very similar.

Has anyone got any strong opinion for or against either one of them?
    Last edited by Perry; 04-11-2017, 06:04 PM.

Compare the features, both are well known brands. If both the same then go with the cheapest or the nicest colour or the best sounding name or toss a coin

Comment

do yourself a favour and put gas hot water in

Comment

It's a rental so I don't need gas
        Last edited by Perry; 04-11-2017, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Jumping on the tail of this thread, has anyone had any experience with heatpump water cylinders? I've been toying with the idea of going solar for hot water but looking into it it looks like a heatpump system would be a better way to go. I'd be replacing my old gas cylinder and dropping gas completely, saving $1.10/day on line charges. Running costs are just slightly in favor of solar but solar is 50% higher install cost. I'm guessing solar would also be effective only for around 6-9 months of the year where we live and need electric boost when electricity is at it’s most expensive over winter.
          Last edited by Learning; 08-11-2017, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
            Jumping on the tail of this thread, has anyone had any experience with heatpump water cylinders? I've been toying with the idea of going solar for hot water but looking into it it looks like a heatpump system would be a better way to go. I'd be replacing my old gas cylinder and dropping gas completely, saving $1.10/day on line charges. Running costs are just slightly in favor of solar but solar is 50% higher install cost. I'm guessing solar would also be effective only for around 6-9 months of the year where we live and need electric boost when electricity is at it’s most expensive over winter.
            I have researched hot water heat pumps extensively and they are the way to go. When we run out of fresh air then we are all in dire straits. They are slightly more expensive to install and not ideal if you are close to the sea, but other than that go for it. Plus they are located outside the house which frees up a closet inside for storage. I am looking forward to the day that I undertake a new build and can install one. Unless my relatively new electric one fizzes out first.

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
              do yourself a favour and put gas hot water in
              +1. I live off the grid so it's the best option. But I would still use gas if I was 'connected' again.

Comment

I'm back into working out what hot water system to have - we are considering a hot water pump Econergy (the pump is separate to the hot water cylinder).

Has anyone got this system? Cylinder and heat pump located outside?

cheers,

Donna
                Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

No haven't got one but would like one. Used to work for a company called Right House who sold various insulation and energy efficient heating systems and this option was not well known.
                  Unlike solar that requires the sun this uses the air! Have only considered it for hot water don't know anything about using it for heating but would like to know more about that.

Comment

Depending on your location it works well in moderate climates - i.e. doesn't get too cold. Doesn't like coastal areas either. Optimum tank size for the heat pump is 300L which is larger than we need and the issue I have with it right now is the heater itself costs $4.6K then there's the cylinder and install and if there's issues (probably likely) that's more cost. Cost savings could be huge (up to 70%) however only if it's working if you have to switch to the back-up element you're not saving. There's lots of options and the tech is improving so I've decided I'm going to get a Rheem cylinder thats compatible with a heat pump but install it later on. If it was the only thing we were doing right now then I'd do it all immediately, however with our rebuild there's plenty of other challenges so just getting a system that the plumber knows how to install and it works is priority.

cheers,

Donna
                    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Fair enough Donna, it's a shame that this Coalition Govt that is all about climate change and saving the planet couldn't come up with incentives to make options such as solar and hot water heat pumps economically viable.
                      Oh yeah pay full price and pay it off over the period of time with your rates? Still paying full price with no subsidies.
                      The way I look at it most people want to try and save the planet but get no reward or incentive for putting themselves out there to make a change.
                      I guess by making petrol and diesel continually more expensive the powers that be think we are all going to rush out and buy electric cars??
                      Had my rant! LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X