X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• company wants to lease property for Filipino workers they bring in

Hi all

I'm new to this and need your advice.

I've been approached by a company who would like to lease my property to house their Filipino workers that they bring in (the ethnicity of the potential tenants is not important, but the migrant worker nature speaks to the kind of tenants they may be).
    Should we run the other way? Or, if not, what sort of things to we need to look out for? Are there any special conditions we should include in the agreement? And, is a normal residential tenancy agreement still appropriate in cases such as these?

Many thanks in advance!!

Are you leasing to the company itself in some sort of commercial arrangement or do they expect you to be the landlord?
    By way of example, Housing New Zealand leases rental properties from residential landlords.

The safe return of your investment after use should be your main objective.

Comment

It's pretty common on towns where there is seasonal work. Whatever you do you should square it with your insurer first. You might want to get advice on the rental agreement and include that they will make good including any damage and that includes drugs clean up. Then get a meth test.
      Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

How is it done, Nick?

Is it a commercial arrangement with the company or just a Residential Tenancy with the workers?
        If it the second case then your additional clauses might not be enforceable.

Comment

With the company. You can probably negotiate quite a good deal if it's furnished and you would need to work out how to cover utilities. Ideally you would include that but with people from warmer countries you want some cap on heating costs. Maybe look for a 2 year or more deal to cover costs of furnishing. Be wary of putting too many people into one home because you will get complaints if there are suddenly 6-8 cars on the driveway and road and that could also affect your insurance. If you're doing this for the first time you might even engage a letting agent to help you structure things and get the agreement right. It will be worth the cost.
          Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Thanks Nick and Lighthouse, great advice!

We will get the meth test kit from mitre 10 and will enquire with a few letting agents to see if they will offer a documentation service.
            The agreement would be between us and the company who would lease it, so I don't think the residential tenancy agreement would be appropriate.
            Thanks for the ideas for conditions re damage and number of inhabitants.

Thanks again :-)

Comment

Originally posted by narf View Post
              I've been approached by a company who would like to lease my property to house their Filipino workers that they bring in (the ethnicity of the potential tenants is not important, but the migrant worker nature speaks to the kind of tenants they may be).
              Should we run the other way? Or, if not, what sort of things to we need to look out for? Are there any special conditions we should include in the agreement? And, is a normal residential tenancy agreement still appropriate in cases such as these?
              As tenants you are no more likely to have trouble with them than any others. Only thing to know is Filipinos sometimes share rooms in expensive parts of New Zealand to save money.

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
              include that they will make good including any damage and that includes drugs clean up. Then get a meth test.
              I regularly see evidence in general New Zealand Facebook forums of the damage caused by meth. The same issues never come up in the New Zealand Pinoy (Filipino) forums.

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
              Ideally you would include that but with people from warmer countries you want some cap on heating costs.
              [.....]
              Be wary of putting too many people into one home because you will get complaints if there are suddenly 6-8 cars on the driveway and road
              Good points.
              Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 01-11-2017, 12:20 AM.

Comment

If you’re entering into a commercial sublease with no control over who goes in then I would definitely get a drugs test done! Also do a full audit of chattels. It only takes one.

Comment

We had 2 Filipinos working for us in ChCh and I saw inside the house they were living. 2 adult men to a room in single beds, kitchen overflowing with rice cookers.
                  The Immigration company had paid for their airfares to NZ, set them up in a rental house owned by one of the consultants brothers and charged them over market rent.
                  The Filipinos were caught by the short and curlies and if that is to happen in Auckland then its a disgrace. Don't get involved, meth won't be the issue, stinky fish and hookers will be.
                  Not to mention they bring these guys in as "rough carpenters" to get them here and they usually have no idea how to swing a hammer.
                  Just a rort!

Comment

Originally posted by Meehole View Post
                    2 adult men to a room in single beds, kitchen overflowing with rice cookers.
                    The Immigration company had paid for their airfares to NZ, set them up in a rental house owned by one of the consultants brothers and charged them over market rent.
                    [.....]
                    Don't get involved, meth won't be the issue, stinky fish and hookers will be.
                    Ain't that the truth. As I said, meth is unlikely to be an issue. At least, I'd think lower chance then the general population.

Good luck trying to 'fix' the above issues.

I'm living in the Philippines and the best approach is - if you ain't married or related to them (by blood or marriage), then wash your hands. Otherwise it will do your head in.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelNZ View Post
                      As tenants you are no more likely to have trouble with them than any others. Only thing to know is Filipinos sometimes share rooms in expensive parts of New Zealand to save money.

I regularly see evidence in general New Zealand Facebook forums of the damage caused by meth. The same issues never come up in the New Zealand Pinoy (Filipino) forums.

Good points.
                      no drug problems in the Philippines? can't imagine there'd be any less risk in that community than any other.

Comment

Have heard this from another guy who hosts travellers. Says drugs a lot cheaper back home so they don't waste their time in NZ!

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                          no drug problems in the Philippines? can't imagine there'd be any less risk in that community than any other.
                          Your assumption is the druggies from the Philippines somehow make it to New Zealand on a work visa.

Comment

Haha, touche

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelNZ View Post
                              Your assumption is the druggies from the Philippines somehow make it to New Zealand on a work visa.
                              My assumption is that drugs are a problem throughout the community and no less a risk with Filipinos

Comment

Working...
                              X