Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Election 2017 - Party commitments on mandatory WOFs, affordable rents .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimO View Post
    perhaps if you lived there you will find it isnt all that cold or wet.....mind you the aucklanders keep away because they THINK they will get cold
    And you know, full of inbreds.
    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

As a responsible landlord I agree with warm dry homes. 3 out of my 4 rentals got double glazing. Cost me 20k to retrofit 1 of them. I personaly live in a cold house with my 3 year old and 2month old. I have used 2600kw/hours of electricity last month to keep my place warm and dry(3 heat pumps 24/7 and one fan heater 12hours a day, Drier 6hours a day). Bill was $689bucks. Ouch..
      I was prepared to double glaze my remaining rental with wooden windows but wouldn't do that if anyone wants to bring on hold on rent increases.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
        And you know, full of inbreds.
        whats so bad about inbreds, that extra finger comes in handy

Comment

How long until tenants start claiming back rent because a property failed a WoF?
          Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
            How long until tenants start claiming back rent because a property failed a WoF?
            IIRC the original idea was that a RWOF was only required on the first change of tenant and then renewed from time to time. Can't recall if that was at prescribed intervals or on future changes of tenant. If a property failed it could not be let until it passed. Since there was 94% failure of the properties in the test couple of years back, that would be alarming for tenants and landlords.

At the time it was estimated that most failures could be remedied for under $50. (I'd like to see some actual quotes - we are in the property maintenance business LOL.)

As no data has been presented by parties that have pledged to introduce a mandatory RWOF we have no idea what the requirements will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
              the risk of TT awarding back rent for entirety of tenancy will result in LL turning over tenants every 12 months to minimize size of payment.

I have some tenants who have been in some of my properties over a decade. The risk should they have a reason to claim and some numbskull adjudicator feeling it justified to award full rent refund is over 520 weeks.

why would I expose myself to that risk when I can limit the risk to 52 weeks?

Comment

I have had a similar thought voiced by another landlord, who has a tenant with nine years tenure.

Comment

Nine years rent at risk - anyone risk assessing their business would never let that happen. Long term tenancies may become a thing of the past. I feel for the tenant these fools at tribrunal think they're trying to protect.

Comment

Working...
                  X