Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950's home renovation - Insulation question

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum but not so new to DIY and home improvements. I have just purchased a 1950’s stucco home that needs a lot of love. There are some major renovations that I want to do however, I need to do the urgent maintenance first then I’ll start removing walls

I am going to be documenting everything I do with tips and trick’s I learn along the way, pricing, timing and other considerations.

The first question I have in around insulating exterior walls, the first major work will be re-lining the walls and ceiling in the master bedroom. This is the perfect time to install some insulation and building paper.
    Question: What do I need to do to ensure that there is still adequate ventilation in the walls to ensure that I don’t end up with dampness? I want to do this once and do it right!

Thanks in advance

I can't answer your direct question but don't fall for the Pink Batts & Gib solution as the only one. Earthwool from Bunnings is much nicer to use and Elephant Board is stronger than Gib. You can use 10mm Elelphant everywhere rather than having to go to 13mm Gib for ceilings. It works out a bit cheaper too. There should be a max 20mm gap between the framing and cladding I think but others would know better than me about that.

Comment

one thing you will need is a consent

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
        one thing you will need is a consent
        Given that you are asking then this will probably help you also.
        This is one of the reasons for needing consent - if done poorly the insulation will cause more issues than solve.

Comment

I would most defiantly ensure that the insulation was installed correctly i.e. correct insulation type, ensuring there was still air flow etc.

There one room in the house I know of that has insulation in the walls, do I still need consent if I was to replace it with better insulation?

Is it better to get a consent for all the work being done rather then room at a time?

Comment

Are you doing the work yourself?

I don't mean to be rude but it sounds like major work to do for someone who doesn't know the building code etc. I myself would get someone in simply because I don't know this stuff and wouldn't want to spend 6 months reading the building code to find out haha.
            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
              Are you doing the work yourself?

I don't mean to be rude but it sounds like major work to do for someone who doesn't know the building code etc. I myself would get someone in simply because I don't know this stuff and wouldn't want to spend 6 months reading the building code to find out haha.
              Your not being rude at all there is nothing wrong with sharing your opinion.

For me its defiantly a labor of love, I am more then happy to learn the building code however, I understand that there are thinks that are outside of my skill set and that I would be wise to seek professional advise when I need to.

For example when it comes to removing a wall (I am more then comfortable doing the actual work) I will be engaging with a professional to confirm that the wall is not load bearing if it is I will need to get someone in to do the necessary work to strengthen the building.

Comment

Hire a builder. If in doubt read recent articles in herald about unconsented work and then hire a builder.
                Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

insulation in ext wall needs a consent unless replacing something already there and how would they know?

even builders are reticent about relying on schedule 1 as they get in the can with LBP board if they are wrong

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                    insulation in ext wall needs a consent unless replacing something already there and how would they know?

even builders are reticent about relying on schedule 1 as they get in the can with LBP board if they are wrong
                    That is how I understand it, I know that retrofitting insulation in wall's requires a little more thought then say the ceiling. I will be living in the house so I have no intentions on cutting corners at all, I will be making sure I am doing things properly.

Comment

Check your foundations, we have been doing alot of concrete spalling work in 1960's homes. Concrete cancer affects the ring foundation and should be repaired in case the structural integrity of the house is compromised.

Comment

Originally posted by Meehole View Post
                        Check your foundations, we have been doing alot of concrete spalling work in 1960's homes. Concrete cancer affects the ring foundation and should be repaired in case the structural integrity of the house is compromised.
                        Thanks for the info, I had the building inspected and there were no defects detected with the foundations.

Comment

Working...
                        X