• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Default Someone complained about my "discrimination"

So I have an apartment listed on trademe. I stated that the ideal tenants would be a an older professional couple.
    I said that there is construction going on underneath during work hours so both tenants must be working full time. Trademe edited the listing and warned me.

So here's the situation. We have divided our block and built a new house at the rear. We have to be very careful who we rent it to because we will be having frequent contact and we can hear the tenants at times.

How can I word the listing so that I don't end up with noisy riff raff who throw a party 3 nights a week?

Just talk about the problem and not the demographic. Folks can figure it out. Also you can pick the tenant who you want to live next to you, you don't have an obligation to explain to any of the others why they weren't selected.
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Agree with Nick.

Leave the other crap to the PC Brigade and deal with what you actually want to specify at the first point-of-contact.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Hey, you can't really mention that as it does include discrimination so its best just to do your thorough checks when vetting and use your gut feeling on whether you feel the prospective tenants would be the sort that would party. Also include that in your reference checks to their current and previous landlord(s).

F

Quote Originally Posted by crashy View Post
    So I have an apartment listed on trademe. I stated that the ideal tenants would be a an older professional couple.
    I said that there is construction going on underneath during work hours so both tenants must be working full time. Trademe edited the listing and warned me.

So here's the situation. We have divided our block and built a new house at the rear. We have to be very careful who we rent it to because we will be having frequent contact and we can hear the tenants at times.

How can I word the listing so that I don't end up with noisy riff raff who throw a party 3 nights a week?
    Fraser Wilkinson
    www.managemyrental.co.nz
    Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

The only discrimination you mention is age (older). Did TradeMe edit anything else?

I always specify quiet tenants in vacancy ads.

Also as mentioned no need to say why applicants were not successful, and in fact strongly advise to give no reason at all. If they ask, say something vague like you chose another applicant, full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    Hey, you can't really mention that as it does include discrimination .
    Actually, he can. There's nothing wrong with saying who the ideal tenants are. In fact it's one of the page's 'boxes' on Trademe. Just because you have an 'ideal' doesn't mean you won't rent it to anyone who doesn't fit that.

As for the rest, depends on how you word it. "Construction will be taking place below the premises during normal working hours, so the property may not be suitable for those working from home or otherwise requiring quiet during the working week."

The one behind you own home? Simple. Make it clear that the landlord lives on site. That will scare off the ones you don't want.
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Sounds like you want tenants who understand exactly what they are getting into (with the construction and landlords regularly contact) that's what needs to be in your trademe add, its part of managing expectations. The rest of it comes down to you exercising your rights to thoroughly vet thru detailed tenancy applications and proper checking..
    Choosing on merit isn't discrimination. choosing based on age, race, employment status or sexual orientation is, so don't mention those.
    Written by one of the team at http://www.chasepropertymanagement.co.nz/

This is one of those situations where noise can travel easily from one household to the other. I have a few of these types of properties myself. However i would not rule out having a small family living there as some families with children are excellent and fairly quiet whereas others can be quite diabolical. Its best for you to ascertain this at the prospective tenant meetup along with reference checks .

Regarding the building construction going on, be very careful there. I had a tenant once who successfully prevented me from building a 2 bedroom house at the back of his occupancy of a 3 bedroom on the same piece of land. Despite an offer of substantial rent reduction he refused to budge and i had to wait for him to eventually end the tenancy. Be sure to get something put down in writing that the new tenant is entirely ok with the construction ,noise etc that will be going on along with a time limit for this to occur as the RTA usually require a reasonable time limit.

Ignore the above paragraph , my bad - I see you have already built it.
    Last edited by mrsaneperson; 31-08-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Thread Information