Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double Glazing - that isnt gold plated ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Glazing - that isnt gold plated ?

I can only seem to find double glazing installers that provide gold plated windows by the looks of the quotes I am getting.

Does anyone know of an Auckland installer that doesn't use gold in the manufacturing process.

5.6k for 8 small windows is a bit much, they could probably build a house in Memphis for that.

Are they safety glass too? That ramps the price up. Also argon filled or not makes a difference

Comment

Only 2 windows by the pool are safety glass.

The higher tech versions are 6.3k

So no advice on good quality cheaper installers ?

No secret trade advice

Comment

Just another example of outrageous cost for very ordinary building products her in NZ. Ever wondered how it can and does cost $3,000 per square meter for an average spec in NZ? This is why.

Comment

So, to the guys who semi-regularly come on here and say they just built a place for $1500 to $2000 per sqm, can you please let BK know who you use for double glazing please.
          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
            So, to the guys who semi-regularly come on here and say they just built a place for $1500 to $2000 per sqm, can you please let BK know who you use for double glazing please.
            you only get the lower priced sqm rates on decent size homes 180sqm+ with home builders that have buying power ....any joe will be quoted top dollar in this property market ...no great loss for the installers when they are turning away work >>

A mate that runs one of the bigger painting firms locally was telling me how he's got like 12+ months of work booked in ...any new work get's stupid high quotes.. if he gets it then paying more for extra workers is worth it .... otherwise he has his core workload from the muti builders he deals with >>>

Comment

The old adage to shop around to get more than one quote is very true. I had a window quote and was going to go with it but pushed for two more quotes, only one of them came back but it was well worth the wait. Saved 3k and done sooner. Went in this week and is perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseWorks View Post
                The old adage to shop around to get more than one quote is very true. I had a window quote and was going to go with it but pushed for two more quotes, only one of them came back but it was well worth the wait. Saved 3k and done sooner. Went in this week and is perfect.
                Hello, I am looking to install 2 windows (1 in each room). At the moment, both rooms do not have any existing windows. So holes will need to be cut through walls (stucco cladding, timber framing) and then windows installed. Can you please let me have the contact since he's recommended? Does anyone know if consents are required?

Comment

We have double glazed our entire house (11 largish windows, one large sliding stacker) for approx $4800 by buying second hand joinery from trade me. I realise this is not realistic for everyone as it takes some time to find all matching ones at the right size to fit, without too much modification but they are out there so possibly an option? Also helps if there's a largish earthquake in a largish town near by!!

Comment

I shopped around and mid last year installed 2 large ranch sliders (one is a stacker), one 2m x 2m window and two smaller windows. $9k delivered (not installed). Christchurch. We tried the TM route but couldn't get anything the right sizes - non standard house. I also found that TM was really expensive, our stacker was cheaper than a second hand one on TM!

Comment

Originally posted by newbie investor View Post
                      Hello, I am looking to install 2 windows (1 in each room). At the moment, both rooms do not have any existing windows. So holes will need to be cut through walls (stucco cladding, timber framing) and then windows installed. Can you please let me have the contact since he's recommended? Does anyone know if consents are required?
                      i would say you will need a LBP to do the work with consent

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
                        i would say you will need a LBP to do the work with consent
                        Is consent actually required?
                        Buy brand new glazed Ali windows standard sizes from demolition traders Hamilton. Worth a look

Comment

Originally posted by HouseWorks View Post
                          Is consent actually required?
                          Buy brand new glazed Ali windows standard sizes from demolition traders Hamilton. Worth a look
                          there arnt existing windows, so new holes will need to be made, pretty sure you need a consent

Comment

According to this leaflet, consent is not required even if less than one metre from boundary. It would pay to check this and confirm. Getting consent is such a hassle and time-consuming.

I checked with council the other day about the new exemption for a freestanding single carport. I asked if I needed building consent if I installed more than one carport at the same time, but still keeping them separated. The building helpdesk said I may need resource consent (if exceeding coverage rules etc, which I know I'm not) but not building consent. YAY!

Comment

Working...
                            X