Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only got a tenant's first and last name on your TA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only got a tenant's first and last name on your TA?

Just a thought. I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted here, but just in case ...

Often when I come across nasty outcomes for LLs in TT decisions they only list first and last names for the tenant.

I appreciate that some people don't have a middle name (although I personally don't know very many people along those lines).

However - given how often I've seen it, I suspect that a number of LLs don't do the elementary first step of sighting and recording their tenant's ID (which would normally record all their names), and which ultimately makes serving them / finding them difficult.

And by 'recording' I mean taking photos of both sides of a driver's license, and / or all relevant pages of any other identity documentation they provide.

-------------

PS - as added protection some people have advocated taking photos of the tenants too, as it can help with debt collection. Sounds like a good idea, but I don't know what privacy implications that has (if any) or whether you need to include any special clauses in your Tenancy application or agreement to permit it.

Just tell them that you are getting their photo to give to the bailiff if needed. Simple as that really.

As for the TT orders. In my experience, mostly it is the TT staff who do not transcribe the middle names to the order.

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by BigWal View Post
      Just a thought. I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted here, but just in case ...

Often when I come across nasty outcomes for LLs in TT decisions they only list first and last names for the tenant.

I appreciate that some people don't have a middle name (although I personally don't know very many people along those lines).

However - given how often I've seen it, I suspect that a number of LLs don't do the elementary first step of sighting and recording their tenant's ID (which would normally record all their names), and which ultimately makes serving them / finding them difficult.

And by 'recording' I mean taking photos of both sides of a driver's license, and / or all relevant pages of any other identity documentation they provide.

-------------

PS - as added protection some people have advocated taking photos of the tenants too, as it can help with debt collection. Sounds like a good idea, but I don't know what privacy implications that has (if any) or whether you need to include any special clauses in your Tenancy application or agreement to permit it.

Good point - just add to that it is always better to have both tenants listed on the TA in case one defaults then you can still chase the other one for any debt as ""equally and severally liable"".

Comment

Originally posted by BigWal View Post
        Just a thought. I'm sure........
        Often when I.......
        I appreciate.........
        However - given how..........

-------------
        PS - as added protection.......
        Can you please tell me why need photo for "both" sides of driver's license. What's important on second side?
        (am new here) thanks

Comment

Second side on the new licences shows the expiry date.

www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
            Second side on the new licences shows the expiry date.
            Thanks, haven't seen those new ones yet. IMO, I don't think that's an improvement

Comment

Working...
            X