• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I tried to work this out for a place in Welly but gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonyacat View Post
    I asked about plumbing too - he suggested a system he's recently heard of called Saniflow or Sanipump or something. Basically cuts up waste material and pumps it through a little pipe. Gives a new meaning for the shit hitting the fan!

Requires electricity (but can be run from a main dwelling) and piping but not 'plumbing'.

Don't know how good it is, or legal status in an outbuilding.
    The Saniflow systems are pretty good but not as good as a regular toilet since they use a motorized maceration to chop up the waste , have to sometimes be careful not to use too much toilet paper though the one we had was getting pretty old as the blades were worn down. They are often used in basement toilets as their may be insufficient gravity flow for a regular toilet to work , the Saniflow has a pump which pumps the pureed waste out along a PVC pipe to the drain area. You can buy them in NZ from Wallace Pumps, Auckland. Citywide Plumbing , Auckland do the installation side.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonyacat View Post
    I asked about plumbing too - he suggested a system he's recently heard of called Saniflow or Sanipump or something. Basically cuts up waste material and pumps it through a little pipe.
    My understanding, from when I was looking into these a few years ago, was that it still needed to tap into the sewer system somewhere.
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Look up the city rules. These aren't actually legal. The article I saw in the Press a while back said they are going to start clamping down on this type of accommodation. They have only been lenient because of the lack of accommodation after the earthquakes.

There are tiny cottages you can buy or rent that have plumbing that hooks into existing but I have asked the council about these and they said they would require permits/ resource consent in the same way permanent ones do. Legally there doesn't seem to be any way to add a small house easily but in practice you might get away with it unless a neighbour complains.
    Why don't you hire one and see what happens? Then if neighbours complain you can send it back. If it all goes smoothly you can buy it later. Look at house me.co.nz for details on renting homes and how to connect to plumbing and waste.

You can do it in Auckland. Often sold as towable cabins. Basically a Caravan. No consents required. Just avoid loos, which you don't need if just using as extra bedroom to increase rents.

Thread Information