No announcement yet.

Builders to Insure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirmed it with my Building Contractor do you wish to sight the batten yourself?
    Kaye
    www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

Originally posted by Kaye View Post
      Confirmed it with my Building Contractor do you wish to sight the batten yourself?
      I think the question is how are you able to tell treated and untreated?
      The pink from H1 washes out quickly.
      Treated is marked on the ends but once cut it can be hard to tell.

Comment

i thoiught you meant the framing behind the batten was untreated?

still begs the question how did you know if the contractor didt admit it. the reason i say that is identyfing treatment can be difficult as some treatments clear

Comment

NO Pink or Green staining on the batten just plain untreated wooden batten as stated confirmed by my own Building Contractor
          Kaye
          www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

So you actually don't know if it was treated or not unless you get it chemically tested. It may have faded to clear?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaye View Post
              NO Pink or Green staining on the batten just plain untreated wooden batten as stated confirmed by my own Building Contractor
              Have a look at a house going up after a few rains - lots of plain timber that used to be pink!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
                So you actually don't know if it was treated or not unless you get it chemically tested. It may have faded to clear?
                Originally posted by Wayne
                Have a look at a house going up after a few rains - lots of plain timber that used to be pink!
                Why are you arguing?
                The building company replace the wood.
                Why would they do that if it was treated timber?

Comment

Wayne this was an EQ repair not a rebuild or maybe it should've been took the over a year to complete due to their incompetence. I checked the property ever afternoon around 5 pm after they'd left for the day so defo hadn't had any rain to wash off pink/green stain and the fact it was replaced with treated timber without having yet another argument with them speaks volumes....
                  Kaye
                  www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

No arguing now just pointing out that if it had indeed been treated wood wouldn't have been replaced at all.
                    Kaye
                    www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

Then i guess the builder who put the greenhouse window (those awful things that were really popular in the 80's) into my 1950's cottage should take the blame for it leaking? Not the fault of the design or the construction of the window, just the fault of the builder who erected it?
                      As for materials, being part of Certified Builders there is no end of complaints from builders who have clients wanting to control the building materials used. All in the name of cost cutting.
                      Certified Builders have a guarantee their clients must take out for new builds and renovations over $30k, called Halo residential guarantee.
                      There shouldn't be any shoddy builders out there as a builder qualified to undertake consented work must have an LBP. If you don't think that is enough of a qualification then use a Certified Builder as they unlike Master Builders only have qualified people as members.
                      However to get someone who knows what they are doing costs a little more than some people are willing to pay. Some would say the answer is to bring in tradies from overseas, namely asia, been there done that and won't make that mistake again.

Comment

Working...
                      X