Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke alarms now have to have battery lasting at least 8 years! New installations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm stunned landlords complain about this. It's a very cheap solution, will probably save a life or two and as has been pointed out gets the pointy hats to say "we've done something" and stuff off for a spell. Even if they cost $100 each, over 10 years that's .20c per week and rents on average will keep going up 2-5% per year. This WOF stuff is just noise, the real concerns are wider economic risk and lending rules.
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Just about every change of tenant requires replacement smoke alarms.
      They've either destroyed them or replaced with cheap crap.
      Why I don't know?
      What is worse - damage or useless property managers who don't keep on top of it.
      The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
        Only the Cavius smoke alarms have batteries included that last 10 years and they are around $38 each but only if you buy them in packs of 3 for $115 at Bunnings!Buy single and they are around $50 each.

Flippin heck its ridiculous for the RTA to establish that all new smoke alarms installed must have a battery life of 10 years ,when a cheaper brand can be bought for only $8 with an alkaline battery included that can last for up to 6 years.
        What?
        I have used these in a similar brand (Warrior) - Consumer gave it a big tick.

and only $17.
        I can't see what the big issue is!

Comment

Originally posted by PC View Post
          Just about every change of tenant requires replacement smoke alarms.
          They've either destroyed them or replaced with cheap crap.
          Why I don't know?
          What is worse - damage or useless property managers who don't keep on top of it.
          My PM checks every inspection - specific item on their checklist.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
            What?
            I have used these in a similar brand (Warrior) - Consumer gave it a big tick.

and only $17.
            I can't see what the big issue is!
            Thanks Wayne had not seen these around even though I was in Mitre10 yesterday . Will grab a few.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
              Thanks Wayne had not seen these around even though I was in Mitre10 yesterday . Will grab a few.
              Test them after you install.
              They have a tab to pull to engage the battery (sealed 9v) and twice, on pulling the tab, the battery has not connected.
              A wee push on the connector (there are wee holes you can get a probe into) and it was good and has been since.
              Was embarrassing when it didn't work for the building inspector (new house).

Comment

Good tip Wayne!

Because the number of smoke alarms bought and installed is considerably more than in the past, we are going to see a corresponding increase in faults.

The biggest problem with '10 year fixed battery alarms' is dealing with faults within this time frame.
                Warranty replacement requires returning to the distributor (if they are still around) and it's more time and cost effective to just replace the alarm.
                We have had many '9 volt removable battery alarms' appear to work longer than 10 years (hush button test) and we have also had many '10 year long-life fixed battery alarms' fail within 10 years (MTBF).

Hardwired alarms installed with a house security alarm system also need checking, have an expiry, may be mains powered and may not offer full coverage for RTA.
                Sometimes the security system is disabled because it's faulty or a nuisance and that takes out the smoke alarms with it.

Tenants continue to take down alarms and should be charged replacement cost. To be fair, sometimes the alarm itself is just faulty.

Bunnings and Mitre10 continue to sell removable battery alarms and even ionisation alarms.
                Landlords purchase for rentals thinking they are doing the right thing (and it is a good start) or seeing the $5-9 price grill property managers on why they were invoiced for more expensive (fixed battery) alarms purchased by the PM.
                Rentex Limited Property Management - Est. 1988

Comment

Originally posted by Rentex View Post
                  Landlords purchase for rentals thinking they are doing the right thing (and it is a good start) or seeing the $5-9 price grill property managers on why they were invoiced for more expensive (fixed battery) alarms purchased by the PM.
                  Then they should know the law - you aren't allowed to install new non 10 yr alarms.
                  I do wonder why they are still for sale.

Comment

Then they should know the law - you aren't allowed to install new non 10 yr alarms.
                    I do wonder why they are still for sale.
                    Indeed. Some owners still bill tenants the full water bill including fixed charges. Some PM's do.... there are lots of things like this in the wild.
                    Rentex Limited Property Management - Est. 1988

Comment

"Then they should know the law - you aren't allowed to install new non 10 yr alarms.
                      I do wonder why they are still for sale."

Because they can still legally be installed in owner-occupied housing.
                      There is still some of that around, and those people are so much less valuable to our society than tender tenants.

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
                        There is still some of that around, and those people are so much less valuable to our society than tender tenants.
                        Good point!
                        I still don't see 10yr alarms as a bad thing - one less thing to think about (battery replacement).

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
                          "Then they should know the law - you aren't allowed to install new non 10 yr alarms.
                          I do wonder why they are still for sale."

Yeah nicely put.
                          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

We use the NZ fire Service recommended ones from Bunnings, no issues yet, under 20 bucks. Can't remember their actual name I think it's something like family shield?

Comment

Good point!
                              I still don't see 10yr alarms as a bad thing - one less thing to think about (battery replacement).
                              They still need to be cleaned regularly. Dust can build up inside and dull/kill the sensitivity. Vacuum or air blower to clean out the dust at least once a year is recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
                                They still need to be cleaned regularly. Dust can build up inside and dull/kill the sensitivity. Vacuum or air blower to clean out the dust at least once a year is recommended.
                                And whose responsibility is that?
                                My blog. From personal experience.
                                http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X