• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Insulation .Company charging $3 per sq metre to rip out underfloor Aluminium foil

Just wondered if anyone else experienced this charge on top of the underfloor insulation install?

I always pay for demo and disposal when improving something.
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Why wouldn't they charge for it ? I guess you could always avoid the charge by crawling under there and doing it, preparing the area for them to install.

How much are they charging you to install the new product ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nice View Post
    Why wouldn't they charge for it ? I guess you could always avoid the charge by crawling under there and doing it, preparing the area for them to install.

How much are they charging you to install the new product ?
    Fair comment but i honestly wondered if it was so necessary to remove it but installer told me its because condensation can gather on the foil between the insulation if left in, so it would seem necessary .
    As for charging i found this installer charges $17 per metre squared but when i looked around the lowest one was $12.50 per metre, so he brought his pricing down to around $14 per metre which was pretty close so i stuck with him.
    Last edited by mrsaneperson; 17-06-2017 at 01:06 PM.

$3 a m2 to run a stanley knife along a joist and drag some foil out seems steep to me

Dealing with underfloor foil is potentially dangerous / fatal, which is why it is no longer allowed to be installed (new) in rentals. Removing it might not be as dangerous, but still a risk so extra care would be needed.

Suggest make sure the remover marks clearly on the invoice the condition of the foil, as if damaged the replacement insulation can be expensed. Because like for like replacement in a rental is no longer allowed. You can still have foil installed in your own place though.

A charge, fair enough. But $3 per metre seems a bit steep. Most of the time it's just stapled in and can be ripped out in seconds. I'd be asking for a set price. E.g. $50/$100 for ripping it all out and dumping it.
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

The ripping it out is easy. It's the groveling around in amongst the spiders and whatever the cats have left there that is a bit harder, and why it's easily worth $3pm to do it. Any time you feel you don't want to pay that amount, don't argue and quibble about it, just do it yourself.

Ripping out the foil may improve the poor WiFi signal that we get in the lower part of the house as it acts like a shield against the modem which is stationed upstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice View Post
    The ripping it out is easy. It's the groveling around in amongst the spiders and whatever the cats have left there that is a bit harder
    But they're under there anyway, to install the new stuff. Besides, you don't know what kind of space there is. When mine was done, there was more than standing height. Could be anything from half a metre to 2m clearance.
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Thread Information