How do property managers hire trades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do property managers hire trades?

Hey. I just started a painting company and was wondering what approach should I take to be hired by property managers for there repaints? . Should I find out there emails and send them a business proposal? Or meet them in person?

Originally posted by mustafatobi2014 View Post
    Hey. I just started a painting company and was wondering what approach should I take to be hired by property managers for there repaints? . Should I find out there emails and send them a business proposal? Or meet them in person?
    Give them a call and ask to come in and introduce yourself. Follow up with an email. Make sure you are reliable and reasonably priced.

Comment

I agree with MikeO, but also make sure you have practiced, and practiced again what you will say to the PM's. Make sure you have a point of difference that will make the PM's consider your proposal.
      Jeremy Barker
      Hamilton Property Management
      www.hamiltonpm.co.nz

Comment

If just starting out on your own, a track record would be useful. If no track record, property managers won't be interested unless they are desperate. (Which some will be due to demand, depending on the location.)

If no track record, consider a services ad on Trademe - $39 for 3 months so cheap advertising. Ask previous clients if they would add feedback for you.

Also consider Housing New Zealand as a client. Once a tradie has a good track record with them there will usually be future work.

Comment

Do your homework - you'll need to be competitive with favourable payment terms and have a reputable track record. Plus have your systems in place, e.g. invoicing, accounting etc. Agree Housing NZ would be worth approaching and also the retirement villages - but Trade Me is a good starting place for jobs to build up the track record if you're new to the sector.

cheers,

Donna
          Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

What sort of experience do you have and what type of equipment do you own?

Any competent property manager won't let you loose on major jobs without evidence that you know what you are doing. You may need to do a few smaller jobs first. Make sure the back of your vehicle is not covered in paint and that the tools in your van or car are in a tidy state.

Comment

just tell them you will do it $5 a hr cheaper than the last guy

Comment

We have had a number of tradesman email us info - that doesn't get our attention. The Tradesmen that phone to make an appointment and take the time to come and sit down with us get our attention. We like to get tradesmen who conduct themselves in a professional manner. Price is important but trustworthiness and reliability are equally as important. We like to have at least two contractors for each trade, but trades such as painting we currently have 3 contractors. If they get a fully house paint it can tie them up for a couple of weeks so we find 3 good. Painters need to appreciate with property management there may be small fiddly less profitable jobs along with larger more profitable jobs. It is important for us that our painters don't just pick the best but will also provide a good service for the small repair jobs.

Insurance, Health and safety compliance is also an issue for us when we choose tradesmen, when you meet with the Directors of a Property Management company I would recommend having this information available.

Hope this is helpful
                Cheers
                Robyn Marsters (Quality Rental Management Ltd)

Comment

why go chasing this kind of work?, working on rentals would be just about as bad as working on group home builds, no body is getting rich doing that sort of work.........you would be better off getting a list of master builders and certified bldrs in your area and contacting them you may pick up a few, better than being busy doing shit work on the cheap for landlords

Comment

I get calls all the time from tradies offering their services, I just had one that dropped into the office.....if they can reciprocate the relationship so they refer the PM work then its more appealing of course.
                    Fraser Wilkinson
                    www.managemyrental.co.nz
                    Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Comment

I'd work on my English first. Looks poor and unprofessional.
                      hint: there vs their

Comment

Not sure about others but we get a copy of their business insurance and health and safety program then try them out on a couple of jobs. If we like their workmanship and they charge a reasonable rate etc then we keep them on. Everyone is different I would flick them an email personally and if they are keen then suggest a face to face meeting
                        Fraser Wilkinson
                        www.managemyrental.co.nz
                        Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Comment

Originally posted by FJW View Post
                          Not sure about others but we get a copy of their business insurance and health and safety program then try them out on a couple of jobs. If we like their workmanship and they charge a reasonable rate etc then we keep them on. Everyone is different I would flick them an email personally and if they are keen then suggest a face to face meeting
                          works both ways then i would want to see your bank statements and a list of other tradies you use to find out if you are a good or bad payer and had the funds to pay

Comment

Working...
                          X