No announcement yet.

Aluminium versus plastic windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a uPVC supplier around to quote for supply of some D/g uPVC windows and doors. He told me that the price is comparable to thermally broken Aluminium. The reality: his quote just under $40000 installed (two doors, 3 windows of varying sizes), thermal broken supply only $9000. I'm thinking its not $31k to install esp given this is an easy installation and he is simply mad. Be careful believing the rubbish they tell you.
    Last edited by Thinkingbutnotdoing; 08-06-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

My houselot of triple glazed + argon + low-E film uPVC windows, consisting of entry door, rear garage door, french doors + extra pane + 10 other windows including 2 bathroom windows with privacy shading, is a tad over $35,000 installed.

So yeah, $40k quote for 2 doors and 3 windows double glazed is having a laugh.

Comment

Yeah - and this is current, like this month!

Comment

My quote's from January, just paid the 2nd half of it last month.

2000mm wide, 1400mm tall unit, with 750mm opening left sash, tilt-and-turn hardware, double glazed is $1,505. This is going in the master bedroom. Doesn't include triple glazing, argon or low-e; for my quote that's applied as a single line item at the end for all the windows so I can't give a per-window breakdown for that.
          Last edited by Lanthanide; 08-06-2017, 02:39 PM.

Comment

I"m guessing you are not in Christchurch - we still seem to have the post EQ premium here .

I don't have individual prices for the units but would guess that our 2mx2m ranch slider is about $2-2.5k of the quote. So maybe the premium has reduced at last. Mind you, that is the cheapest quote, they vary considerably.

Comment

I am in Christchurch. That price is ext GST, from NK Windows.

3200mm wide, 2200mm tall unit, including 2x 1000mm wide french doors + 1200mm wide fixed pane, double glazed, total price $5,189 + GST.
              Last edited by Lanthanide; 08-06-2017, 02:55 PM.

Comment

OK - our quote, $9,400 incl gst includes a 3.3m wide stacker door (1 fixed pane, 2 stacking), a 2x2m slider, a large (2x2m fixed) window and two small windows - so maybe not too bad. This excludes all the other bells and whistles at this stage other than thermally broken frames. Its taken a few attempts to get this quote though!

Comment

That sounds like a great price for all that glass, and being thermally broken it won't have the same degree of problems that normally plague aluminium windows.

So actually that's a good point - uPVC vs aluminium is comparing apples with oranges. You should be comparing uPVC vs thermally broken aluminium.

Thermal-break aluminium still isn't as good as uPVC for insulation, but it's a lot better than standard aluminium.

Comment

Yes - but I nearly stopped after the ~$40k for uPVC option!

Comment

UK: Sealed double-glazed units have a limited life-span, and the seal will eventually fail, resulting in misting-up between the two panes of glass. In the highest-quality installations this may not happen for 30 years. Some experts say 20 years is a reasonable life expectancy.

NZ: All plastic window profiles are imported into New Zealand, as the low demand for uPVC windows does not justify manufacturing the plastic locally. With hundreds, or maybe thousands, of PVC suppliers worldwide, all making their own “mix”, it is vital that the New Zealand consumer has very high confidence that the “mix” they are buying is a good one.
                      Also NZ: How long do uPVC windows last?
                      Windows with uPVC should last about 40 years if properly fitted. They require no maintenance, they don’t need to be painted and can be wiped clean.

NOTE: There is no evidence anywhere that 40 years is realistic.

USA: Most forums show people having trouble after 5 years and failure after 10 in colder climates.

Comment

The statement that uPVC windows should last for 40 years is talking about the window frame - saying there's no paint required, no chance to rust, can be wiped clean etc.

Your first statement about "double-glazed units" and sealing are talking about the glazing units, that are installed into uPVC or aluminium frames. You're conflating two different items.

Talking about USA uPVC is a bit pointless, as I believe most uPVC suppliers in NZ are importing their frames from Europe, not America.

Comment

It's fascinating that Mr 1 rental likes to contradict any body of evidence that doesn't fit with his world. How's it going Gareth. Surprised you have time to be spending hours on here :-)

Comment

I'm confused. I was convinced plastic was the way to go - now I don't know. Luckily we don't need to make up our minds just yet.

Just when I thought I knew it all - there's more options.... wood composite maybe?

cheers,

Donna
                            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Reading back Lanthanide, I missed the bit where you said your windows are from NK. The $40k quote we got was also from them....maybe they just have lots of work on at present. (Our 120m2 house has 6 ranch slider doors (and two other doors) and a hell of a lot of windows, so a full replace is not on the cards at present!)

Comment

They're a very good product for insulation, with some clever opening systems, but only if you like white!

The Warm Windows guy told me they mostly do white, and any other colours are limited and more expensive.

This might work for some house colour and design themes, but not others. Thermally broken aluminium would be good enough in most NZ climates, and equivalent in price to uPVC.

Comment

Working...
                                X