• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Aluminium versus plastic windows?

Hi All,

I would appreciate peoples thoughts.

currently in the process of putting a building plan into council. the designer has asked me whether I prefer aluminium of plastic UPVC windows. I have been told that aluminium is an inferior product and is not used extensively overseas. I am wondering if aluminium has any advantages and should still be considered?

thanks

Phillip

From my understanding of UPVC windows vs Aluminium windows is UPVC isn't cold to the touch unlike Aluminium joinery. It is used extensively in Europe. I'd go find a local manufacturer and ask to see their product and testimonials from their clients. Downside UPVC isn't cheap. Here's a link to Christchurch manufacturer nkwindows.co.nz
    Last edited by donna; 03-06-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Upvc is much much better. Metal is a thermal conductor (therefore conducts the cold), plastic is a thermal insulator.

Phillip you bet me to it I too was recommended plastic due to being coastal etc. and it's good to know it's a superior product.

cheers,

Donna
    PropertyTalk Blog - property articles

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

I have UVPC and am relatively happy. A few downsides (but might have improved now) - they cant be partially open and locked, so ground level or lower level windows cant be left open when out or its a risk to do so. Also when opening, the window falls back in to a certain point, so while you can physically open the open the window to its maximum it doesnt stay there. I would say mine only stay open about half way. If you are getting in any doors, then the locks can be a bit 'dicky'.

The biggest bonus is they are very easy to maintain, and I would say you would eventually get your costs back in that you dont have to paint etc. The flashings have to be redone but thats not a big job.

Thanks all for the feedback, sorry for my delayed reply - I have just seen the responses. I called one supplier who believed the price would be similar to aluminium. I've found that the building application does need to commit to either at this point. Does look to have some good adavantages so will investigate

Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrary View Post
    I have UVPC and am relatively happy. A few downsides (but might have improved now) - they cant be partially open and locked, so ground level or lower level windows cant be left open when out or its a risk to do so. Also when opening, the window falls back in to a certain point, so while you can physically open the open the window to its maximum it doesnt stay there. I would say mine only stay open about half way. If you are getting in any doors, then the locks can be a bit 'dicky'.

The biggest bonus is they are very easy to maintain, and I would say you would eventually get your costs back in that you dont have to paint etc. The flashings have to be redone but thats not a big job.
    I would say that all the issues you state are due to the particular manufacturer rather than uPVC as such.
    Also Aluminium is very easy to maintain and shouldn't need painting either.

Of particular issue to uPVC is its UV stability in the NZ environment. Seems that we have higher UV here than Europe. I expect they have sorted these issues by now - uPVC windows have been around for a while now in NZ.

I would really look into the UV side of things. On a slightly different note, same goes for all those later model European caravans imported into NZ. I was speaking with someone who works for an outift that builds upmarket horse trucks with accomodation. That outfit also modifies and repairs other trucks and caravans on the side. He said that many UK caravans are breaking down because of NZ UV.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I would say that all the issues you state are due to the particular manufacturer rather than uPVC as such.
    Also Aluminium is very easy to maintain and shouldn't need painting either.

Of particular issue to uPVC is its UV stability in the NZ environment. Seems that we have higher UV here than Europe. I expect they have sorted these issues by now - uPVC windows have been around for a while now in NZ.
    Agreed. Updated research needs to be done. I used warm windows. The have been installed for around 5 years now and I havent any issue with any of the frames even on the north facing side, but the flashing paint has come away. I think they still look nice and are super easy to keep clean. Agree about the aluminium, but I think the UVPC does look nicer, and I also found when looking at pricing the difference between the two was not substantial. You don't need to invest in heavy curtains/window coverings either which is another saving.

not a fan of UPVC
    Last edited by jimO; 06-06-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Thread Information