Building a prefab house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a prefab house?

Hi, can anyone share any experiences of building prefab houses? I'm looking at going that route after being discouraged by the Wellington (I know, not even Auckland!) property market. There are a hell of a lot of prefab companies out there. How do you know which one is best? Also, any experience building piles/foundation on Wellington slopes? Thanks.

A1 homes, parents have built 2 of their houses. Not sure if they are in Wellington. Regarding the foundation, would recommend you get a geotech report which will give an idea of the best methodology to use.

Comment

A1 are in Wellington I believe and they will do a site visit. Your in the ground costs can be high but you'll know them to the best of your ability (even if it means a geotech report) before you sign off on anything.

Where in Welly would you want to build?
      Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
        Where in Welly would you want to build?
        We are flexible on the location and under no illusions. But we would have preferred the southern sectors i.e. Newlands/J'ville and south. Karori would be nice.

Comment

Check out A1 homes.
          Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Thanks I'm give them a call.

Comment

Sounds like they must have improved. We build an A1 in Auckland, a few years ago now, was a total disaster. Fortunately Sentinel came in and fixed it for us.

Comment

Hi

Did you get anywhere with this? We are looking at the same option i.e getting a prefab house? Did your bank has any problems re loan?

Cheers
                K

Comment

I liked the look of A1 based on information in their website.

But... Tried to contact the local manager in Tauranga by phone, no less than 4 times... not one reply. Went into their office twice and no luck either, just the receoptionist there. Couldn't be bothered with them after that.

Comment

A1 must be busy, don't need the work??

Comment

I have contacted A1 as well...lets see what happens. Has anyone used BuildSmart /www.builtsmart.co.nz ?

Do you actually save any money with relocating a pre-fab house or is it about the same cost as building? I did the rough math and it looks like its about $2500 per m2 for relocating a pre-fab.
                      Living a more meaningful & enhanced life with investments, business and blogging. www.theFIminator.com

Comment

Spoke to a builder last week and he said $3000m2 plus at present to build on site.
                        Spoke to consultant at prefab company also and he said 9 months to build prefab home from start to finish and 2 years if using builder or housing company.
                        He was referencing houses being built north of Albany.
                        Talking about family home 180 - 250m2 so may be less time if building smaller.
                        A1 have the same problem as most housing companies in that it is difficult to source labour.

Comment

If its $3000+ for a build, then in theory a pre-fab would be cheaper. But you are right about the availability...thats an industry wide issue at the moment. That may change if the current stock market crash keeps going....as money to fund building may dry up a bit
                          Living a more meaningful & enhanced life with investments, business and blogging. www.theFIminator.com

Comment

Funnily enough I have heard of many people that have sold up in Auckland and moving out, cashed up and building a new home in the regions. For many a mortgage is not an issue. Heard this morning that stocks had risen 40% and crashed 5%, so not sure if that's fact or not. House prices have risen in Auckland 100% - 250% in 7 years, cannot see them returning to those levels can you?

Comment

Working...
                            X