Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tenant leave without notice

Hi

We have a property, it was initially rent to 3 single tenants, one has left and the others have managed to find another tenant.
    However, the new tenant for what ever reason has moved out without 3 weeks notice.

The existing tenants has asked me to chase that tenant for the 3 weeks share of the rents to repay them. (because the existing tenants is still paying the full rent)
    Just wondering, is this my responsibility?

Thanks

Vincent

As stated in your post. No.

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply.

The new tenants was on the tenancy agreement too.
      Can you explain a little be more please? So I can explain to the existing tenants.

Thanks

Comment

Assuming you have a standard Tenancy Services lease agreement, then those that are signed on to it are 'jointly and severally liable' for amongst other things, paying the rent. It is their problem, not yours; but if they are unsuccessful, then it will become yours as the end result will most likley be they also scarper without paying the rent for their lost mate.

Comment

At the start of a tenancy where there is more than one person listed on the tenancy agreement I always carefully explain that each of them is fully liable for the entire rent. There is no such thing as "I am only up for half/third/quarter of the rent".

Sometimes this gets through.

Comment

Thanks for all your inputs.
            Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X