Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They all have consent.

Comment

Also your 3 examples only 1 has 2 ovens. Which is always the issue.

Comment

If you want to add a kitchen or kitchenette, you will need a building consent and may need a resource consent. You will have to pay a development contributions fee.
        From council website.

Comment

the lack of certainty reinforces my views. These couincils enforce what they think the law says not what it actually states.

I dont think the oven is the trigger

buit if some compoant of the requirement for a dwelling is missing then there is no trigger for another dwelling so the argument does not arrise. I say even if all the requirements are there there still must be the intention to create a second separate and exclusive household and in this case this is not the intention.

The council should not be able to enforce what 'might happen' but only what the intention is today,

You dont need a building consent for a sink if you substitute another sanitary fixture as was indicated in this case you only need a RC if you are outside the rules in district plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
            Also your 3 examples only 1 has 2 ovens. Which is always the issue.
            I'll say it again, there is no requirement for consent to install an oven. None. You don't need consent for any other appliance, why would you need one for an oven?

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
              the lack of certainty reinforces my views. These couincils enforce what they think the law says not what it actually states.

I dont think the oven is the trigger
              Auckland Council seems to be almost deliberatly misleading people.

Comment

there is no requirement for consent to install an oven
                Technically you do need a consent for an oven but the electrician issues his own. It is just that the council don't know and are not involved.

Comment

As I already said, a second oven in same kitchen is fine, adding a second kitchen by putting an oven in, council has to be involved.

Comment

it should be the 'intended use' that is assessed not self contained spaces, council should only be involved when the law and rules require this!

Comment

I know your position and I agree John but for the OP it is better they know what they may get into. Having had abatement notices and $1000 a day fines it is not worth trying to stick it to the man over this unless you have nothing better to do and deep pockets.

Comment

In the Ops case I'd just do it.
                        Who's going to complain - Granny?
                        Do it right (up to regs in terms of installation, electrician etc) then live long and prosper.

Comment

Agree Wayne, but you can get a weird neighbour or even a tradey. We are a dobbing in culture these days.

Comment

I say do your homework clarify the issues and make sure your use fits the criteria. It is usually the slight crossing the line that causes the problem or ill informed admissions when the knock on the door comes. It is usually a disgruntled tenant or neighbor that causes the trouble (not granny).

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
                              Agree Wayne, but you can get a weird neighbour or even a tradey. We are a dobbing in culture these days.
                              But the compliance is then easy - unplug the stove and put store it in the garage (for a while).
                              Issue gone!
                              Last edited by Wayne; 26-04-2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Do you really need a 2nd built-in oven? There are fancy portable ovens and benchtops that could be plugged in to get around all these grey areas that the Council has created. For all practical purposes then this would give you another separate self-contained area. I have seen many houses like that. And since you are not renting it out, I don't see an issue. I also have had quite a few chats with the Council about such "granny flats" and they are like if you don't rent then that is fine. But you can apparently have boarders or flatmates in it! Do you see how silly these rules are!

Comment

Working...
                                X