Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laundry outside footprint?

This might sound stupid but

Is it legal to have your washing machine/dryer outside the footprint of your house?

In a shed under a carport? Any other ideas?

Of course.
    In the olden days, the washing was done in the wash house - some distance from the house.
    A fire was used to heat the water (in a copper of course) and the washing was dragged through a wringer and then hung on the washing line.
    I'm not aware that our council planners have banned this but I imagine it'll only be a matter of time.

Comment

I think it's fine. I'd want it in a lockable space.
      Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

as long as the electrical side was safe? needs ventilation and impervious surfaces that can be washed.

Comment

Is it so you can exceed the maximum site coverage rules? Then probably not.
          LAJ

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
            as long as the electrical side was safe? needs ventilation and impervious surfaces that can be washed.
            Does a space for a washing machine and tub count as habitable space? I mean, I've seen them set up in lean-tos, which would seem fine to me as long as there's not a rule about needing habitable space for clothes-washing purposes.
            My blog. From personal experience.
            http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

If the carport is already there then this doesnt change coverage (but allows better use of other space? laundrys are not habitable spaces

Comment

From a tenancy side, I would suggest enclosing and securing the space as best as you can. Moving slightly laundry out of the washing machine isn't pleasant during winter in an outdoor space and is a turn-off for a lot of tenants.
                Pukeko Rental Managers (South Auckland)
                If the tenant doesn't pay the rent we will!

Comment

Originally posted by investorak View Post
                  This might sound stupid but

Is it legal to have your washing machine/dryer outside the footprint of your house?

In a shed under a carport? Any other ideas?
                  Man are we so hard up we have to do this? You can have both a washing machine and dryer (mounted above) in a largish cupboard right?
                  Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                    Of course.
                    In the olden days, the washing was done in the wash house - some distance from the house.
                    A fire was used to heat the water (in a copper of course) and the washing was dragged through a wringer and then hung on the washing line.
                    I'm not aware that our council planners have banned this but I imagine it'll only be a matter of time.
                    You were lucky you had a copper ...we had to take washing to the river to wash the clothes :-)

Comment

Reason would be to add a bedroom.

Might not need to but thought could have more space if it was outside. Thanks for your comments

Comment

Originally posted by Beano View Post
                        You were lucky you had a copper ...we had to take washing to the river to wash the clothes :-)
                        You had access to river?
                        We had to use the overflow from neighbours septic tank!
                        And hang the clothes over blackberry bush to dry.

Comment

You had access to river?
                          Well we called it a river but it was really a overflow from the septic tank and we could only do the washing when the tank overflowed! ��
                          Of course we only had one set clothes to share for the whole family! ��

Comment

You had access to river?
                            Well we called it a river but it was really a overflow from the septic tank and we could only do the washing when the tank overflowed!
                            Of course we only had one set clothes to share for the whole family! :-)

Comment

Working...
                            X