Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "go to" all-round carpet for any of your rentals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "go to" all-round carpet for any of your rentals?

Everytime I end up having to re-carpet I start looking around for bargains. But I was wondering if anyone here with multiple rentals uses a stock standard type of carpet for all their rentals that is reasonably hard wearing , cost effective , looks good and is the right colour not to emphasize future stains?

The one -stop carpet for all our needs perhaps? This can keep things simple if one has multiple rentals.

A local carpet supplier in my area when I asked what he uses for his rentals [he said he had a couple] tells me he puts cheap crappy looking stuff in which was on at $30 metre . In my opinion said carpet which he pointed out to me while I was looking in his carpet factory it looked rubbish & perhaps was just trying to offload it on the next sucker.

I have tended to go for:

Wool around $120 metre

Generally heavy duty

Colours: Grey , blue ...Staying away from lighter colours and generally avoid brown , black , green red

why not soloution dyed nylon?

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
      why not soloution dyed nylon?
      Yes wouldn't rule it out .Some of mine have been a mixed blend of wool and poly.

Comment

Cut pile solution dyed nylon/poly. Most companies import it by the tonne these days. Some of it feels horrible but that comes down to their manufacturing process. But it lasts pretty well. We use 12mm underlay that seems to be the best combo for longevity.

Comment

I like the idea of the same carpet, same colour, in all rentals. Makes patching easy, if that's required and may help with a bulk discount.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
            I like the idea of the same carpet, same colour, in all rentals. Makes patching easy, if that's required and may help with a bulk discount.
            Yes that's the idea. I always find it a pain going through the same motions everytime trying to find the current best deal going for a reasonably good product when I need to replace carpet. I end up going with a different product each time.
            As a rental is not your own family home one tends to concentrate on the factors of price, longevity and colour over others such as wow factor, pile depth etc.

Comment

deffo' solution dyed nylon, almost bullet proof, almost.

Comment

Originally posted by Errol View Post
                deffo' solution dyed nylon, almost bullet proof, almost.
                Theres a whole lot out there - do you use any particular style, colour etc?

Comment

Has anyone tried the carpet (they use the rhino for advertising) in their own home by any chance? I have heard conflicting stories about it. Currently hearing about carpet moth being a problem with wool carpet.

Comment

i'm testing second hand commercial carpet tiles in one property right now. Cost is super low and if there is any damage you can replace a single tile. Not 100% convinced yet so only testing in one property... ask me in 12-24 months

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                      i'm testing second hand commercial carpet tiles in one property right now. Cost is super low and if there is any damage you can replace a single tile. Not 100% convinced yet so only testing in one property... ask me in 12-24 months
                      I guess the installation time for these would be a lot longer as each one has to be glued to the floor .They may not be as warm as carpet possibly which has the underlay but they will certainly be hardwearing. My basement is decked out in them and they still are looking great after 17 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                        Cost is super low and if there is any damage you can replace a single tile. Not 100% convinced yet so only testing in one property... ask me in 12-24 months
                        One drawback might be a very new looking square in the middle of a larger, worn down area. Might stand out quite starkly. That aside, piecemeal repairs do have a certain attraction.

Comment

With solution dyed nylon.. which face weight would you go for with rentals? 26oz seems to be quite reasonable at $80-90 per lineal meter, the 48oz is $130+.

Comment

One important factor to consider is the colour.
                            Will it hide or minimize a red wine stain?
                            Avoid anything that is one bland colour throughout, as stains become very obvious. I once looked at the 'Rhino' carpet, and the bland colurs are what made me avoid it.
                            You need something with a strong fleck.

Nerxt time you are in a bank or a movie theatre, look down and see what stain-hiding colours they use.

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
                              One important factor to consider is the colour.
                              Will it hide or minimize a red wine stain?
                              Avoid anything that is one bland colour throughout, as stains become very obvious. I once looked at the 'Rhino' carpet, and the bland colurs are what made me avoid it.
                              You need something with a strong fleck.

Nerxt time you are in a bank or a movie theatre, look down and see what stain-hiding colours they use.
                              What about using medium to dark grey as an all rounder? I presently have a dark blue in 2 of my properties which looks quite good but I was thinking a dark grey may be a better choice. Good tip on the bank/movie carpets will take a look .

Comment

Working...
                              X