Insulation statements in tenancy agreements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation statements in tenancy agreements

I've hit a bit of a stumbling block in relation to the new requirements around insulation statements and wall insulation - Tenancy Services website says I need to make all reasonable efforts to obtain this information, eg physically looking (not possible without invasive testing), "checking the Council building file" - I've called Wellington City Council and apparently they have no such thing, and I can't just walk in and look at the info in their archives. However, I can request (and pay for) a scanned copy of all consent and permit documents in relation to the property. They are unable to tell me whether information such whether there is insulation in the walls might be in those documents and I don't really want to pay for something and find out it's not in there! Can anyone suggest or help me out - would those documents contain info such as insulation in the walls, or was there a National Standard whereby all late 1990s brick veneer homes had insulation or batts in the walls?

You can go to the archives near Welly CBD and look at the property file for free, but need to book in advance so they can get the material ready.

Plans in the file might show insulation. Or might not ... Either way you will be able to put together the insulation statement.

Quite useful to have copies of plans from the file actually. They can have quite a lot of good info on them.

Comment

Don't put too much effort into it.
      Was the house built in the 1990s?
      If so, just say yes to insulation in walls.
      If built before 1970, say no to insulation.
      If in doubt, just say no.
      Who really cares? Say there's no insulation and you haven't misled the tenant.

Comment

With the power off at the fuse box, take a look behind light switches and electrical sockets around the outer walls.

Comment

You don't have to include walls in your statement, just ceiling and underfloor.

Get a supplier in to do an assessment against the standard. They will usually do it for free in the hope of getting any upgrade business.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
            You can go to the archives near Welly CBD and look at the property file for free, but need to book in advance so they can get the material ready.

Thanks Artemis - just had a look at the WCC link and while it says all that, it was someone from Archives yesterday who was telling me I can't look at the file for free and would have to order the consent reports but they wouldn't/couldn't get them out for me to tell me if it contained the info!! Quite at odds with their website. Might call them back and make an appointment and see how I get on - although I see someone has suggested below turning off the power and looking behind the wall switches so will give that a go in the first instance. Good to know that facility is there though should I need the property plans further down the track.
            Last edited by Perry; 30-03-2017, 01:49 PM. Reason: fixed quoted text

Comment

If it's sufficient to say that the ceiling and walls are insulated on a concrete slab dwelling, how necessary or important is it to give details of the material[s] used, R value, etc?

Comment

If in doubt you can just say no.

Comment

Originally posted by Accidental-landlord View Post
                  Thanks Artemis - just had a look at the WCC link and while it says all that, it was someone from Archives yesterday who was telling me I can't look at the file for free and would have to order the consent reports but they wouldn't/couldn't get them out for me to tell me if it contained the info!! Quite at odds with their website. Might call them back and make an appointment and see how I get on - although I see someone has suggested below turning off the power and looking behind the wall switches so will give that a go in the first instance. Good to know that facility is there though should I need the property plans further down the track.
                  Rather than calling, suggest fill in the form on the website. I wonder if they thought you wanted them to draw the property file and look it up for you. I can see why they would not do that.

Comment

Ive had a couple of mine re-done with added insulation on top of the thin layer of fluff that was there at initial purchase. With the re-added the contractor usually leaves a paper stuck to the rafter of the attic with the R rating printed out and the type of material. I like Nice's idea above you can simply get any tradesman installer quote and use their analysis of whats existing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nice View Post
                      You don't have to include walls in your statement, just ceiling and underfloor.
                      You what? The Residential Tenancies Act seems to differ.

Originally posted by RTA
                      (1A) The landlord must include in the tenancy agreement a statement, made and signed by the landlord, that provides the following information to the tenant (subject to subsections (1B) and (1C)):
                      (a) whether or not there is, as at the date of the tenancy agreement, any insulation installed in connection with any ceilings, floors, or walls that are at the premises:
                      (b) details of the location, type, and condition of all insulation that is, as at the date of the tenancy agreement, installed in connection with any ceilings, floors, or walls that are at the premises:

Comment

I stand corrected, my apologies.

Comment

Stand in the corner for five minutes, then you're forgiven.

But you have to wonder at RTA legalese, at times.

details of the location . . . of all insulation that is . . . in . . . any ceilings, floors, or walls that are at the premises:

As the ceiling insulation is almost certain to be located in the ceiling, does the TA need to specify what a ceiling is and where it is? Ditto for the walls and floor.

As for "at the premises," where else would it be? Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                            Stand in the corner for five minutes, then you're forgiven.

But you have to wonder at RTA legalese, at times.

details of the location . . . of all insulation that is . . . in . . . any ceilings, floors, or walls that are at the premises:

As the ceiling insulation is almost certain to be located in the ceiling, does the TA need to specify what a ceiling is and where it is? Ditto for the walls and floor.

As for "at the premises," where else would it be? Doh!
                            So part of the ceiling could be insualted - maybe all but the skillion roof.
                            Likewise - I have a house with an addition that has walls insulated but the rest of the house isn't.
                            Not so silly really.

Comment

Yes - that could be the case, but would that not be the difference between insulated and partly insulated?

Comment

Working...
                              X