No announcement yet.

Insulation statements in tenancy agreements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insulation statements themselves need not be in the body of the tenancy agreement. It is sufficient for them to be in the in-going inspection report (which is, of course, part of the TA).

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

What a pain, the new standards are stating thickness, my receipts are showing r factor. And the company who did the work in 2010 went into liquidation. The company who bought them have no access to records and are advising a visit to assess and advise at a cost of $110 plus gst, little bonus for them.........

Comment

Next inspection take a step ladder and tape measure. Take a photo to prove insulation is there and correct depth to cover yourself from the $4000 fine if the installation disappears between tenancies. IMHO this should now be standard practice for every inspection.

Comment

What a pain, the new standards are stating thickness ...

Not quite - the new standard says any pre-existing insulation has to meet the 2008 building standards (R2.9) or be 120mm thick, so you may be in luck.

Also, bear in mind that the 2.9 figure I've quoted applies to the ceiling material and construction type, plus the insulation installed. Good luck to any non-professional trying to work out the actual R figure required for the insulation.

Also - the R2.9 building standard figure I've quoted may only apply to timber framed houses. Masonry houses have in the past had a slightly lower R figure in the standards, but I can't easily find what the 2008 standards say about them.

--------

On a side note - does anybody know if it's possible (and where) to buy ceiling insulation around 2-3 cm thick?

My house was built in 2004/5 so it looks like it meets the R1.9 standard, but the pink batts look a tad under 12cm thick, so a quick 'blanket' top-up might be required.

Comment

the new standard says any pre-existing insulation has to meet the 2008 building standards (R2.9) or be 120mm thick, so you may be in luck.
            Actually, I made a complete hash of things with the statement above:

1. The 2004/5 building code stated R1.9 for ceiling insulation
            2. The latest building ( 2009 ) code states R2.4

Also, by the way, from what I can tell R2.4 generally equates to 120mm of insulation

Finally, when I say "the new standard says ...", please note that the new standard - i.e. the Healthy Homes Standard - will only apply after 1 July, 2021.

---

So, in a nutshell:

1. If your house has no ceiling insulation or has had ceiling insulation installed before 2016, it will need to at least meet the R1.9 standard by 1 July, 2019
            2. In practice item, item 1. above means:
              1. if your house was built between 2004 and 2008 according to code you're OK for now, since it'll already meet the R1.9 standard. However, after 1 July, 2021, you'll probably have to upgrade your insulation to R2.4 or 120mm within 90 days of any new tenancy.
              2. If your house was built before 2004 it'll definitely need to be checked to confirm that it has at least R1.9 ceiling insulation by 1 July, 2019 (especially if it hasn't had any extra insulation added since it was built). And then you'll also have to upgrade your insulation to R2.4 or 120mm within 90 days of any new tenancy.

3. If your house was built to the minimum of the 2008 building code for ceiling insulation, you're OK, full stop.

And finally, items 1 and 2 don't apply if it's impractical to install insulation.

Right - hope this helps - I'm done doing my head in trying to summarise this as concisely as possible. Happy to discuss if anybody thinks I've got it wrong.
            Last edited by BigWal_v2; 19-03-2019, 05:03 PM. Reason: 'Cos one character sequence - now "( 2009 )" got translated to an emoji.

Comment

Originally posted by BigWal_v2 View Post
              And finally, items 1 and 2 don't apply if it's impractical to install insulation.
              I do not want to be responsible for any further head-doing-in, but what circumstances would be encompassed by "impractical" and who gets to define that?

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                I do not want to be responsible for any further head-doing-in, but what circumstances would be encompassed by "impractical" and who gets to define that?
                Does "reasonably clean and tidy" sound familiar?

Comment

Uncomfortably so.

Comment

Regarding the phrase 'impractical' - there's this page here .

Couple of phrases from that website seem to stand out.

Installing insulation is not considered 'reasonably practicable' when an an experienced professional insulation installer:
                    • Can't access the location to install insulation without removing any cladding or lining, carrying out other substantial building work, or causing substantial damage to the property
                    It then goes on to say:

If a landlord is in any doubt (my emphasis) whether insulation can be installed in their rental property, they should consult an experienced professional insulation installer and, if needed, a builder.
                    So you can state (depending on your situation - e.g. none of the following applies to any area easily accessible to you like an attic ) that you are in no doubt that insulation cannot be installed in any inaccessible areas of the ceiling in your rental property since:
                    • Any installation of additional insulation to inaccessible areas of your ceiling would not be "reasonably practicable ... [since] removal of 'cladding or lining' would be required"
                    • And, since you are in no doubt that insulation cannot be installed on your rental property, you do not have to consult an experienced professional insulation installer and, if needed, a builder.

How's that, Margaret from Vanuatu?

Comment

So if I board up my loft hatch I'm exempt from the legislation?

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
                        So if I board up my loft hatch I'm exempt from the legislation?
                        Gib over it to look like ordinary ceiling and you're good

Comment

I'm about to rent out my 4 year old apartment, which I believe is exempt as has apartments above and below. Is there particular wording I can/should use please?
                          I've looked at the template on tenancy services website but doesn't seem appropriate to use that.
                          Can anyone advise wording to use so I can just type it up myself?
                          Thank you

Comment

I believe this property is exempt due to there being no space available to put insulation in the ceiling and floor.

www.3888444.co.nz
                            Facebook Page

Comment

i put something like

"exempt from the ceiling insulation requirement due to another apartment above"

"exempt from the floor insulation requirement due to another apartment below"

points for style if find the relevant exemption and quote it

"as per.................exempt from new tenancy insulation requirements"
                              have you defeated them?
                              your demons

Comment

It piques me that LL have to incur a cost to get the R-value and that form completed (which depending on who you use to do it could be just looking to do you for 'insulation top up). A PM I use has said I can complete the form but be aware if it's incorrect I could face a $4000 fine - umm that has me running scared.

The whole installation thing has been a bit of a rort - with many of us and the Govt being ripped off along the way. In my own experience I was quoted from 1.8K up to 7K for one property. Then I got an honest chap who said no top up was needed and he signed off the certificate.

cheers,

Donna
                                Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Working...
                                X