Insulation statements in tenancy agreements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Perry View Post
    Yes - that could be the case, but would that not be the difference between insulated and partly insulated?
    Does the RTA mention 'partly insulated'?
    I don't get your point.
    They want you to specify what and where the insulation is.
    If you say ceiling is insulated to R3.6 with blanket insulation then it will be assumed that it if fully insulated.
    If you said x part of the ceiling is insulated to R3.6 etc then it would show that it is partly insulated.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
      Does the RTA mention 'partly insulated'?
      I don't get your point.
      They want you to specify what and where the insulation is.
      If you say ceiling is insulated to R3.6 with blanket insulation then it will be assumed that it if fully insulated.
      If you said x part of the ceiling is insulated to R3.6 etc then it would show that it is partly insulated.
      So presumably under the new regulations ""partly insulated"" isn't an option anymore and that would require landlord to rectify the situation?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
        So presumably under the new regulations ""partly insulated"" isn't an option anymore and that would require landlord to rectify the situation?
        Why would you say that?
        Under the new regulations you have to insulate to a certain standard if you reasonably can.
        If your house has a roof space and a skillion ceiling I expect you would have to insulate the 'normal' ceiling but can't insulate the skillion roof.
        If your house had an extension and part is concrete floor then the rest would have to be insulated if it reasonably can be.
        Same with walls.

It doesn't have to be all or none - as far as I can see but I'm only using my logic here (I'm not some insulation regulation expert).

Comment

If it can be reasonably done, yes.

Comment

Why would you say that?
            Under the new regulations you have to insulate to a certain standard if you reasonably can.
            If your house has a roof space and a skillion ceiling I expect you would have to insulate the 'normal' ceiling but can't insulate the skillion roof.
            If your house had an extension and part is concrete floor then the rest would have to be insulated if it reasonably can be.
            Same with walls.

It doesn't have to be all or none - as far as I can see but I'm only using my logic here (I'm not some insulation regulation expert).
            I see what you are saying . I have a rental where part of the under flooring is not insulated , yet the house is warmer than my own and is insulated in walls and ceiling and I do not see why I should be required to insulate this small part - yet I am wondering if their is a new mandate requiring me to do so?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
              yet I am wondering if their is a new mandate requiring me to do so?
              No new mandate - same one as before.
              Right now you must include in all new TAs a statement on the current insulation.
              From June 2019 (was it June - anyway the same date as before) you must have brought insulation up to spec if you can reasonably do so.
              Stripping gib etc isn't considered reasonable.

Comment

I think the reason walls are not included is because they are optional. So there is no need to define wall insulation you can simply leave it blank or say none if you don't know. All our PMs forms don't even have wall as a field to fill in :-).

"Ceiling and underfloor insulation must be installed, where it is reasonably practicable to install. It must comply with the regulations and be safely installed. Wall insulation is not compulsory."

LINK

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
                  I think the reason walls are not included is because they are optional. So there is no need to define wall insulation you can simply leave it blank or say none if you don't know. All our PMs forms don't even have wall as a field to fill in :-).
                  Though it may not be mandatory to upgrade the wall insulation the RTA says you have to say what it is.
                  Saying zero would be fine but not saying anything (leaving blank or out completely) would seem to contravene the RTA.

Just because your forms don't have it doesn't make it right.

Comment

Just saying our 3 PM's in different cities don't ask for it..............

Comment

Originally posted by Nice View Post
                      I stand corrected, my apologies.
                      No need to apologize there Nice. You just have to dig deeper.

www.3888444.co.nz
                      Facebook Page

Comment

Though it may not be mandatory to upgrade the wall insulation the RTA says you have to say what it is.
                        Saying zero would be fine but not saying anything (leaving blank or out completely) would seem to contravene the RTA.

Just because your forms don't have it doesn't make it right.
                        That may not be correct.
                        The RTA form from the MBIE website says:

Location of insulation: Floor Ceilings Walls* (Please tick all that apply)

It would appear you can ignore them all if you don't know the answers and skip over the question.

Comment

Page three states:

"Bonds must be lodged with the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment within 23 working days of being paid" My emphasis.

This is also incorrect and is the most irritating part of the document to me.

www.3888444.co.nz
                          Facebook Page

Comment

For the lesser clued up:

19 Duties of landlord on receipt of bond
                            (1) Where any person pays to the landlord, or to any other person on behalf of the landlord, any amount by way of bond (whether the amount is for the whole or part of the bond), the following provisions shall apply:
                            (b) the landlord shall, within 23 working days after the payment is made, forward the amount received to the chief executive, together with a statement of particulars in the approved form signed by the landlord and the tenant.

Comment

Here's a chuckle Perry. I have forwarded the bond to MBIE and they have returned the forms and cheque as not being filled out correctly. Now, do I have to send it in again?

www.3888444.co.nz
                              Facebook Page

Comment

Yeah - well, we all know the likely IQ levels and pedanticism of those you're dealing with.

Comment

Working...
                                X