Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Floor Repolish or Brand New Carpet Installation

Hi,

3 Bedroom Brick and Tile House in Pukehangi, Rotorua.

My current tenant's last day will be end of March 2017.

While its vacant, the PM have suggested to either install new carpets or re-polish the wooden floors.

Currently the wooden floors are very scratched.

I would like your opinions on which is best for this rental property.

Will it be better to install new carpets? or Re-polish the wooden floors?

Which will be better for a long term as we are planning to keep it for long term.

The house has brand new full ceiling and under floor insulations in accordance to the new tenancy law.

The current rent is $275pw but now its advertised to $320pw in line with the market rate.

Repolishing the floors will require the existing damaged coating to be sanded off and then new coatings applied.
    Not a minor job.
    It depends on the status of the area you are in, but I would carpet judging by the rents you quote.

Comment

No, don't polish. While wooden floors sound hardier, they dent quite easily and is your tenants, guests or their daughters going to remove their high heels, not drop utensils and other damaging objects, allow cats to scamper over, the odd sneaky visiting dog? My mother in law tenanted her place out to a friend while overseas for 6 months and horrified what they did to the floors. Nah, carpet, cheaper in the long term.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
        The PM said that it is very scratched so definitely not a minor job.
        I just want to make my rental property more presentable as there have been many interest on it since the day it was advertised.

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
        Repolishing the floors will require the existing damaged coating to be sanded off and then new coatings applied.
        Not a minor job.
        It depends on the status of the area you are in, but I would carpet judging by the rents you quote.

Comment

Highly like to go for carpet now, the only thing we are worried is if the tenant made a water leak it may damage not only carpet but also the wooden floor beneath it. So replacing both carpet and wooden floor (worst case scenario.)

Originally posted by RollingCloud View Post
          No, don't polish. While wooden floors sound hardier, they dent quite easily and is your tenants, guests or their daughters going to remove their high heels, not drop utensils and other damaging objects, allow cats to scamper over, the odd sneaky visiting dog? My mother in law tenanted her place out to a friend while overseas for 6 months and horrified what they did to the floors. Nah, carpet, cheaper in the long term.

Comment

Originally posted by jc_sbc_12 View Post
            Highly like to go for carpet now, the only thing we are worried is if the tenant made a water leak it may damage not only carpet but also the wooden floor beneath it. So replacing both carpet and wooden floor (worst case scenario.)
            a little bit of water wont hurt a TnG floor

Comment

To sell I'd expose the floor boards - polish etc. but to rent definitely carpet or if in a high use wet area lino or the equiv. We did re-polish the floorboards that were in the Kitchen/Dining area a few years ago in a rental - they're scratched up but we've got the same tenant so we've dodged a big expense for now.

cheers,

Donna
              Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Hi Donna, we will keep the property for rental. We plan to put carpet now for lounge area and all 3 bedrooms. While vinyl on high usage areas such as dining, kitchen, entrance hallways, laundry, separate toilet area, bathroom, and the hallway going to the bedrooms.

Originally posted by donna View Post
                To sell I'd expose the floor boards - polish etc. but to rent definitely carpet or if in a high use wet area lino or the equiv. We did re-polish the floorboards that were in the Kitchen/Dining area a few years ago in a rental - they're scratched up but we've got the same tenant so we've dodged a big expense for now.

cheers,

Donna

Comment

Working...
                X