• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jappronz View Post
    Hey, I "believe" putting in a extra new stove/oven is a consent activity because of the electrical draw, however a full gas oven bypasses this.
    I believe you are wrong.
    Electrical work does not require a building consent and the electrical draw has nothing to do with the council!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John the builder View Post
    Your mistake was to use the term "one bed unit". That implies seperate and exclusive and different household and a minor dwelling

    ity you use term self contained space for a member of the same household you may get a different answer?

    but if you want to spend 100-150k go ahead I am sure it will be a better space for the investment?
    I get the impression that the Op wants to rent it out as a seperate one bed unit - a seperate household.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Well, I guess he might not have enough facility to allow a separate household? Because he'll then need to get a separate power meter, water meter and phone lines. Now that he doesn't even have a sink there I doubt he has those meters. I do get confused why he doesn't have a sink beside the washing machine. The plumbing will be the same one, won't it? And if there IS a plumbing point there then he literally would need nothing to apply for consent for, because he can simply put up a bench top on top of a front loader washing machine and let boarders use plug-in induction cook tops and microwave and bench top ovens. What is he adding subject to consent? Nothing. And why can't a boarder use a separate entry? The logic is, he's sharing the bills I believe.

    Personally, I don't understand people adding minor dwellings within the same building. Costs money, attract tax, and too close to a tenant. You can largely get your boarder under some control but a tenant in your own house can be a nightmare to your life.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicko54 View Post
    Awesome, thanks guys. I phoned the council also and they said it would be treated as a minor dwelling even though it is not going to be seperate from the rest of the house. They said as soon as you put in another kitchen or kitchenette it is classed as a minor dwelling.
    This isn't true. You can have as many kitchens in your house as you like. A minor dwelling can only be the case if it is 'separate' from the rest of the house, as this then requires fire and noise partition etc. You cannot get consent for a minor dwelling without that.

    You can put in a sink, with a building consent, then add the 'kitchen' around it, and let the space as a flatshare without the cost of a full minor dwelling development.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jappronz View Post
    Hey, I "believe" putting in a extra new stove/oven is a consent activity because of the electrical draw,
    Not true. No consent is required for an oven, an electrician can advise on the amount of load/cost for installation of another oven.

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jappronz View Post
    Hey, I "believe" putting in a extra new stove/oven is a consent activity because of the electrical draw, however a full gas oven bypasses this. Is there currently a sink and all plumbing in the laundry?
    Also consider taking a boarder rather than a separate tenancy, I'm under the impression boarder income does not get taxed. The accountants here may put me right!
    Boarders and Tax
    http://www.ird.govt.nz/income-tax-in...ers-flyer.html


 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What is Consent Value?
    By makanlah in forum Property Improvements (NZ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-07-2018, 01:45 PM
  2. Garage to Sleepout with Bathroom/Kitchenette Consent and Costs
    By investorak in forum Property Improvements (NZ)
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 19-01-2017, 07:47 PM
  3. Kitchenette for elderly parents in our own home
    By Alison in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 20-01-2016, 09:37 AM
  4. Moving Kitchen and adding bedroom - Consent needed?
    By turneg01 in forum Property Improvements (NZ)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-05-2014, 10:47 PM
  5. Moving Hot Water Cylinder - Consent Needed?
    By turneg01 in forum Property Improvements (NZ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-04-2014, 11:16 AM
  6. What exactly constitutes a kitchenette?
    By Pants in forum Property Improvements (NZ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 24-05-2010, 02:06 PM
  7. Crosslease - consent needed??
    By pl in forum Property Improvements (NZ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 01:19 PM
  8. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16-08-2007, 09:59 PM
  9. Consent needed for cross-lease alterations
    By muppet in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-08-2004, 12:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •